Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to detect rubber-centered clutch disc deterioration

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Logik
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to detect rubber-centered clutch disc deterioration

I'm looking through the "101 Projects" book and Wayne mentions that 911 clutch discs have rubber centers starting in 1978 (until when?). He mentions that the rubber deteriorates and the clutch can fail suddenly with no warning as opposed to spring discs will start to give hints of their imminent failure.

1) When did they stop using rubber? Some people say '82, another person claims his '89 had it.

2) I'm assuming there's no way to assess the condition of the rubber without taking the clutch apart? Meaning a PPI wouldn't catch anything.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The rubber centered clutches showed up again in the G50 cars (87-89). My '89 had 78k miles on it when I bought it and had the original rubber-centered clutch. It showed no signs of failing and performed OK..... Until I did a spirited launch from a stoplight. Vibrations immediately showed up in the driveline and a very solid "clunk" appeared when coming on or off throttle.

There is no warning that I'm aware of but it does fail in a functional manner so you have to limp it home.

I replaced the clutch and did a ton of other service items like fixed a few small oil leaks, updated clutch arm, new slave cylinder and a new fuel line that snakes across the top of the engine.

Pulling the engine while doing the clutch offers easy access to many items that need to be done at the mileage when a rubber centered clutch fails.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rubber centered clutch on my 88 Carrera began separating and small chunks of rubber slowly got between the disk and flywheel. I tried to shift from one position to another and it wouldn't go in any gear. I pulled to the side of the road and shut the motor off and went through all the gears. All worked fine. I started it up and couldn't change gears as the rubber debris again got in the way. I suppose there are many different failure modes, but that's what mine did.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Pjd131
Advanced

Hi Logik, I had the exact same symptoms as Ron Mcatee. I am pulling the engine/trans out this week (with some help from a mechanic friend) and am hoping, at this point, that the problem is the rubber centre on the pressure plate. I will update this thread. At first, I was quite po'ed that this happened as I have only had my car for a couple months, but I am now viewing it as an opportunity to take care of a few things (thanks Targa 3.2) and to learn and get dirty. I have an 89 3.2 Targa with 80K miles. Paul.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:37 AM
gerry100
Pro

surprised if there are many rubber centered clutches still installed unless it's a real low mileage car.

I recall driving a low mileage SC in '01 and it already had the RC disc replaced.

Check service records on any car.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Pjd131
Advanced

Hey gerry100. Double checked all the service records that came with my car. No record of clutch work. I guess it is still possible the clutch was done. We'll see in a few days. Over 10 invoices for A/C work though, but I was aware of the A/C reputation. Haha
Old 09-09-2014, 11:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

get some pics of the old clutch .. would be good to see what it looks like .. have them return old parts to you.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 PM
Pjd131
Advanced

I pulled the clutch off tonight and it was the rubber clutch issue that Ron and Scott describe above. My symptoms were identical. Here are some pics.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Logik
Intermediate

Thanks for sharing those pics
Old 11-13-2014, 12:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

wow those pics are amazing ....

Now on to the next question i was wondering about . As Scott said the rubber centred clutch reapeared later with the G-50 . I always assumed it was due to the G-50 gear rattle issue and this was done to address it , although im not sure. i definitely do remember someone coming on here a few years ago who replaced it with a Spring centred one and didnt like it at all. So sourced another rubber centre clurch and was happy after that. i dont have any more details tho . Any one know if the rubber centred clutch is still available ?

Also i am unsure of what is in my 78 .. unfortuately i am about to find out .. just have to to build my dolly and disconnect that bigg *** oil line .
Old 11-13-2014, 12:31 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

iceman, your car should have a spring-centered clutch. The rubber clutch was used in the mid-year cars IIRC.

I honestly can't tell the difference between the two clutches other than the spring clutch provides much better pedal feel and control.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i sure wish we had an inspection port of some kind .. im pretty sure il be doing a clutch anywat when i pull it out but it would have been just nice to peak now and again ...

oh btw i couldnt get the big lever off the transmission . I got the one , but there is a second much bigger one . the advice is to leave it if they are coming out togather .. but either way that thing has to come off.. i dont see it being any easier down on a dolly when this is on the bottom ..
Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow, that's a mess.
I didn't know they used those on the later tranny.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Pjd131
Advanced

I have rubber grimey stuff all around the outer edge of the flywheel and in the bell housing. It's a messy scene, but I'm thankful that the rubber centered clutch was the issue. A little cocky (more like naive) on my part, but I bought the clutch kit in September during a weekend away in Michigan. Thanks to Scott and Ron for describing the issue in these posts.

Quick Reply: How to detect rubber-centered clutch disc deterioration