Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help with rear seat back - it is stuck and won't release

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Usedcat
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with rear seat back - it is stuck and won't release

One of the rear seatbacks in my '87 is stuck - I mean really stuck. It's been that way since I bought the car a year or so ago. The red release **** will not budge...any ideas how to force it down? disassemble the entire mechanism where the release pin is housed?

Thanks for your advice....
Old 08-18-2014, 04:24 PM
msterling
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't pull out the release **** on mine unless I push on the seat back a little bit. This is awkward when standing outside of the car but has always worked.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:34 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Push the seat back a little to release it. I suggest you then take the large bolt holding it to the outer flange and pull the seat out. Make sure you take a picture of the parts that come off the seat (spacers, etc). There is a screw (slotted) holding the mechanism to the seat. Take it off and lubricate it and the red pin and put it back on. You can do a final adjustment when you get the proper feel of the pin where you want it. You may have to readjust it a couple of times. Very easy to do.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:45 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

usedcat, send an e-mail to me at rmcatee@satx.rr.com. I have several pictures that may help you.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:45 AM
awhenry
Advanced

I had to replace the red ****/bolt when I got my '87. I think that I had to take both seats out to access the one I needed to replace but that was several years ago. Pelican has the part if the bolt is broken off.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Usedcat
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a photo of the center contraption .... does this center cover plate (highlighted in red) just pry off? I am assuming after unfastening the seat on the outside i will need to get into this to see why the red **** won't pull out to release the seat...
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:48 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

That black center piece is welded to the frame as part of the seat base. All you have to do is take the outer screw loose from the mount closest to the wheel well (the outer pivot point) and the inner one just slides off that black mount. It is only a stationary pivot point. The reason you can't budge the red **** and pin is that it is probably a little rusty and the angle you are trying to move it is awkward. I tried uploading pictures of my 88 Carrera, but wasn't successful. Send me an e-mail to rmcatee@satx.rr.com and I"ll send you the pictures I have for doing the job.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:21 PM
msterling
Advanced

Like Ron says; easy to take apart. In the latch there is a bolt that hooks to the **** and a spring. Here is a link to the seat parts catalog. Open with Acrobat Reader and go to page 371. http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...SA_KATALOG.pdf
Probably just needs some lube. Mine won't pull unless tension is relieved by lightly pushing seatback to the rear. Possibly a part has broken or come loose in there.

Quick Reply: Help with rear seat back - it is stuck and won't release