Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Please Help!! I have a few questions about a 996 Turbo that I test drove today

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 03:14 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Please Help!! I have a few questions about a 996 Turbo that I test drove today

I looked at (very carefully) and test drove a 996 Turbo with Tiptronic auto that was for sale today. It looked very nice except that there were a few issues that I have questions about. I've owned a 944 in the past and a 986S, but have no experience with 911 Turbos.
I would really appreciate it if you guys can quickly give some advice. I'm looking to do a PPI on it Tuesday and would like to know in advance if these "issues" are substantial or not.
I will list everything that I found. Please comment on if you feel that these issues are normal, expected quirks, or a common problem I should worry about.

1. drivers seat bottom appears to have seat foam bunched up in a small area in the front.

2. Slight hydraulic fluid seepage/stain on the bottom of the drivers side wing strut (visible on the left side of engine lid with engine cover open.

3. after running car with A/C (blows cold) for a while, there is a humming/whistle noise behind the dashboard area after the car is shut down. It lasts for a few seconds.

4. rattle from rear area of car only when cold. After it is run a while, no noise is heard. It sounds like a possible exhaust issue like a heat shield or something.

5. Car/throttle feels sluggish off the line unless I'm beating on the car. When driving normally, it sort of feels like the car is being held back. It feels like it's 200hp +/-. If the accelerator is fully depressed, it takes off like a raped ape!

6. The steering felt a little heavy compared to my older Porsches and my 2001 Boxster S, and it felt a little vague. I am wondering if this is possibly caused by the stock wheels that were exchanged for the Turbo wheels off of the 2007's.They also added 5mm spacers on all wheels to avoid rubbing issues. Is it possible that the new tires/wheels, that are slightly bigger in diameter and have 5mm spacers are causing this feeling, or am I just spoiled with incredible Ferrari steering?

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:57 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, wrong area to post....I reposted in the correct forum.

Quick Reply: Please Help!! I have a few questions about a 996 Turbo that I test drove today