Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Advice for a Newbee looking at slants

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 11:21 AM
dds120
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a Newbee looking at slants

Long time reader, third time poster needs advice on what to look for when buying modified 911s. Dont have the budget for factory 505 or low mile 930. Would like weekend driver.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Looking for something around this range. Noticing price gap between targa/coupe/cabrio. too.

Thanks,
Frank

77 modified slant
Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 PM
msterling
Advanced

It's got that Miami Vice look. Appears to be a fairly well done slant-nose conversion. As you can see, it was a huge money pit for the former owner who had all the work done. Not a lot of value was added. Performance-wise you would have an 84-86 Carrera. Comments about the body work showing through the paint don't sound very promising. Chromed Fuchs wheels are a no-no and reduce their value. You MUST see this car in person to evaluate. A PPI by a competent and independent Porsche shop is highly recommended.

If you want a car that will hold value then get an unmodified car. A 911 SC or Carrera would have comparable performance and could be had for less $.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 PM
dds120
Rennlist Member

It does have that MV look, and I'm not a fan of the chromed wheels. I'm continuing to look...any place online that you'd recommend?

Are the big drawbacks to a targa the fit and leaking?

thank you

Last edited by dds120; 08-15-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: forgot to write something, didnt want to reply to my reply
Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, I miss my YSL suits and my **** 'stash.

It's a hot rod, and hot rods are hot rods. A one off expression of a single individual's vision. As such it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

IMHO, a real documented factory slant nose is a legitimate investment car, but probably 3X+ what they are asking here.

I think a large portion of the 911 community considers these conversions to be cheesy, vulgar and in many cases so cheaply done that they are virtually worthless.

But this is purely personal opinion, and tastes change with time.

That said, the car market speaks loudly with their money. I read SCM cover to cover every month. Well maintained original cars command top dollar, and modified cars typically sell at a huge discount.

Personally, for that kind of quid, buy a super clean original documented 3.2 Carrara, and if you want some zing, you may even be able to find a nice factory wide-body.

Both are better cars and investments IMHO, but it's your money.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:35 PM
msterling
Advanced

Originally Posted by dds120
It does have that MV look, and I'm not a fan of the chromed wheels. I'm continuing to look...any place online that you'd recommend?

Are the big drawbacks to a targa the fit and leaking?

thank you
There are some nice cars listed here and on Pelican Parts. I'd check everywhere from Craig's List to Ebay to Cars.com etc. Nothing wrong with buying from an individual if you do your homework and get a PPI.

Targas are just fine although they can leak water and wind if the top is not in good order. They do sell for a little less than coupes and cabs on average. 84-89 Carreras are a great combination of bullet proof and fun. 78-83 SCs are less money and no less fun if properly sorted. All of the air-cooled 911s are moving upward in price right now with no end in sight. I need to reset the value on my insurance policy for my '88 911 Cab.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What is wrong with people? Did anyone not look at the engine on this thing? It doesn't have the correct engine mount for the coupe. Did anyone notice the muffler? You are selling a car you represent as a $35,000 car and you couldn't spring for a fresh muffler? How stupid do you think we are? You didn't even fork over a couple bucks for fresh jack hole covers. Figures. Shall we go back to the aborted engine area? The ad claims it has steel parts that are not even present in the pictures. They didn't even spend the money for working prop shocks. I won't even go into all the things wrong with the oil cooler claims.

Documented factory M505 headlights:
http://zakthor.wordpress.com/2012/07...ory-slantnose/

Documented POS:

Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 AM
dds120
Rennlist Member

excellent feedback and suggestions. moving on to the next one...
thanks again
Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 AM
dds120
Rennlist Member

Any thoughts on this one?

1984 911/M491
Old 08-16-2014, 11:49 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Hold on there buddy, what are you trying to pull??
Old 08-16-2014, 11:52 AM
dds120
Rennlist Member

trying to figure out if these cars Im looking at are overpriced
Old 08-16-2014, 01:29 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Once again, I'm not a big fan of hot rods... engine swaps, track mods, etc, etc.

First, build quality can range from better than factory to crap, and/or both. Lots of mystery parts, and if not done properly can be a nightmare to sort out.

Also, collectors and investors typically shy away from such cars for the above reasons... so they really don't have much investment potential.

Unless you love working on cars, and make a project out of it, I'd recommend buying a well documented and essentially original factory car, and enjoy it.

What are they worth? Who knows. What's a brilliantly executed Rembrandt copy worth? It's worth what somebody is willing to pay.

IMHO, for $45K, you can probably buy a pretty nice documented factory turbo-look, and I'd bet that will turn out to be a pretty shrewd investment over the next 5 years or so.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
Hold on there buddy, what are you trying to pull??
I know. I was totally thinking of you when I posted that. It's yours, and I get that.....but did you see the rust on the brackets and clamps on the engine. My entire lot of engine parts was EIGHTY EFFING DOLLARS!!!! Josh, are you and I the only ones left? Please tell me it isn't so.

And, yah, ya gotta go factory stock if at all possible if the idea is to retain some value and return on investment. After years of work trying to return my car to factory stock with zillions of parts replaced I finally started telling myself the truth and came to grips with the fact that my car was too far gone from Ohio road salts to make her a concourse queen. I knew I'd never get my money back so why fight myself daily to have a perfectly stock car. Now, did I go overboard?

Quick Reply: Advice for a Newbee looking at slants