Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How should I decide which Porsche 1978-1989 to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Discoflux
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How should I decide which Porsche 1978-1989 to buy?

Question for any knowledgeable Porsche owner out there:
How do I decide which 911 is right for me? I love the air cooled older models between '78 and '89 and want to spend about 25,000 on it. I would love to drive every one of them until I find the right fit but that seems impossible. I just want a sweet weekend sports car, low to the ground with awesome rails handling and good torque burst off the line with a strong pull in the low gears. I love the coupe with sunroof and the 911 just looks like a blast to drive. Can someone explain where you feel a major driving difference between, say, an 82SC and an 86 Carrera? Any tips on how I can figure out the right model for me? Thanks for any feedback.

Discoflux
Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally, I consider the SC and Carrara interchangeable.

The biggest difference is the engine. In 84, the engine was increased to 3.2L, and DME FI was added. This gives some more mid-range torque, and top-end power, but unless you drive them side by side, it's really not that big a difference.

The biggest decision is body style.... coupe, targa, or cab.

IMHO, the coupe has the best styling, is quieter, more solid, but if you do want an open car, make sure the top and seals are in excellent condition, because they tend to leak.

The most important issue is condition and maintenance. A well maintained car with 100-150K miles that has not been in an accident will be a great car, that is very reliable. Super-low mileage is not necessarily worth a premium, as these cars need to be driven regularly.

For $25K, you should have your pick of clean driver quality cars. Just get a thorough Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) from a knowledgeable Porsche Mechanic before you buy.

It may be worth springing for Pete Zimmerman's book... the more research you do the better, and I would try to buy the most factory correct car you can find. Cars with lots of performance modifications can be a problem, and will not hold their value as well.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be open to diff years and colors or you'll be looking for a long time. Took me over a year to find a nice coupe in my area.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Discoflux
2nd Gear

Thanks for your input
Old 08-14-2014, 12:52 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Drive as many as you can. Some good, some bad, but you'll get a feel as to which you like. I've owned a 80 SC and an 85 Row Carrera cab. Both I had thoroughly refreshed before I drove them. The SC had good low end torque and the steering was fantastic! The Carrera had good midrange power, but drove and felt heavier than the SC.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 AM
gerry100
Pro

depending on there you are there is not a large number for sale so cast a wide net.

Condition of any car in in the '78-89 range is more important.

Unmodified would be critical for my investment.

I saw a '79 SC yesterday, but it had different engine lid and badge, later wheels and some kind of 'wide ***' rear sheet metal ( done well by the way). Interesting look, but not sure how I would value it.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

You can't find a 3.2 for 25k anymore (or you are really lucky).
I paid 35k for mine earlier this year and it had a perfect service record from day 1 (I even have the original bill for the car) with 64,000 miles.

The other question is 915 or G50 for the gearbox. Some say that the G50 is WAY better than the 915, others say it doesn't really matter if you have a nice 915 and know how to double clutch.
I personally have a 915 and don't have any issue, never drove a G50 so I don't know the difference I could get.

If you go for a Targa, make sure the roof is in good condition, I see too many people with leaks, wind that get in the car or condensation when it rains.

I would recommend a Coupe, the look is the best

Quick Reply: How should I decide which Porsche 1978-1989 to buy?