Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

930S wheel install questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 04:12 PM
an6drew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 930S wheel install questions

I installed a 930s wheel on my 82 SC yesterday. It’s in & feels great but I had a couple of niggling problems:
-On the steering column shaft there is a snap ring that prevents the wheel sliding further down the splined shaft. It goes on fine & there is enough bite for the nut, but there is an odd 3/8” gap between the steering column housing & the 930s hub/adapter. It looks weird & the wheel feels a little too close to me & the horn contact doesn’t seem to line up with the adapter. Can I remove the snap ring & reinstall?
-I know there should be 2 wires somewhere that connect to the horn ring (there are 2 male spade connections on the horn ring). Should these wires come attached to the wheel itself (there are none, but I got the wheel secondhand, so something could be missing?) or from the steering column somewhere? I ended up removing the horn relay as I just couldn’t see how the horn setup would work. There is a tech article on the Pelican website, but it concentrates on the hub adapter & crest install.
Thanks a lot
Andrew
Old 08-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Stellpflug
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed mine yesterday, too. I didn't have a snap ring, it went right down on the spline w/o a gap.

I also had two wires attached to base of the hub, near the nut. Maybe someone removed them.

After the install, I did notice that there is a "clinking" noise when I move the wheel from left to right. I was thinking that it might be the plastic piece that turns off the turn signals rubbing. Has anyone else had this problem?

Chris
Old 08-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris,

I have had the same "problems". I have the 3/8" gap, which does not bother me. I have also had a chafing sound when turning the wheel. It was not at all a factor while driving with windows open, but was quite apparent when parking or with the windows up. I took the wheel off this past weekend, and shaved down the plastic piece on the wheel hub that contacts the "snap ring" and cancels the turn signal. Did it with a Dremel. Very easy, could do it with a little bit of sand paper. Just trim a little bit. You can always go back and do a little more. Made a huge difference for me.

Richard
Old 08-14-2003, 02:30 PM
jkb157
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The first wire is the ground from the hub to the inner ring of the horn ring.The other wire is the hot wire and connects to the outer ring of the horn ring.I place some non condutive electric grease on the ring on the back of the hub adapter which took of chafing sound.

John

Quick Reply: 930S wheel install questions