Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cooling Fan Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 03:42 PM
snevman
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan Rubbing

I have a 1989 Carerra 3.2 with 94,000 miles.

Yesterday I drove for about one hour and parked the car at a store for 20 minutes, no problem. I then drove for about 5 minutes to another store, no problem. I returned to the car about 30 minutes and when I started the car I heard an awful ping, ping, ping.

I shut it down and inspected the engine area and determined the fan blades were hitting the shroud on the bottom.

I took off the fan belt and spun the fan and could hear a slight pinging from the fan blades rubbing on the shroud. When I held the shaft of the fan and pulled up while spinning, there was no rubbing.

I reinstalled the fan belt and started with no pinging, a few minutes later at idle I heard an occasional ping and now nothing. I drove the car the hour back home without incident.

The question, is the bearing in my alternator bad? Is it something else? I am hoping there is an easy explanation.

Please help.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 08-11-2003, 03:56 PM
emac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

snevman

Had the same problem with my 81SC, and found the alternator bearing was bad. I was able to have a new bearing pressed on to the original alternator and no problems since. Make sure you belt is not too tight this to will cause the sound as it pulls everything out of line.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:38 AM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also make sure six shims are on the pulley shaft rgardless of what order is necessary to get the correct belt tension

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Rubbing