Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Center console project ideas wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Repo_Man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console project ideas wanted

The attached photo is the leather wrapped center console in my car, it is similar to what is found mainly in some 930's and the Silver Anniversary Edition '89 Carrera.

The Porsche crest in the middle appears to be from a wheel center cap, and probably glued on by a previous owner, it wasn't even centered properly between the controls. Maybe it covered up a non-operating central locking button, don't know but I have had the door cards off and no sign of any power locks in there. (Could have gotten the console out of another car with power locks and wanted to hide the evidence, I suppose.)

Also there are holes on the passenger side where an old car phone was mounted.

I'd like to refresh it a bit, maybe see if I can get the front panel out and make a new blank from sheet metal and glue some new material on it. If I can't disassemble it, we'll have to think of something else.

The cassette storage I was looking at replacing with CD holders, but those are getting to be as dated now as the cassettes.

Maybe I can add an outside air temperature gage, VDO makes a nice 54mm unit that looks similar to the Porsche SA model, does anyone know where they installed the sensor?

I've also thought of adding a voltmeter, but a voltmeter by itself seems misplaced. I've searched and found plenty of customized 930 consoles with 2-3 gages including AFR, but that is too far from stock I think.

Any suggestions or ideas?
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I suggest you remove it entirely.

My driving experience has been greatly improved just removing the stock center console. I can't fathom trying to find room for my leg with that beast in there. Delete Delete Delete.

Quick Reply: Center console project ideas wanted