Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Average Annual Maintenance Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Handlebar
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Average Annual Maintenance Cost?

I've read several different accounts of the average annual maintenance cost on different Porsche models and years. I've now realized I really don't know how much I really don't know.

I was initially looking at a mid teens/20k Boxster until my wife heard at work about many 911's and .... my budget has grown - for the right 911, I am betting we may be 30k-40k, depending on how much she likes the car and how persuasive I can become.

That being said, I'm trying to balance out the possible (eventual?) IMS/Bearing concerns depending on year/model etc, vs sticker price. One friend told me to look into the 964/993's, but a perusal over the last few weeks has made me think I missed that escalator a few months ago.

Long story short - IF IMS/Bearing is taken care of for the relevant year models, what sort of an annual 'average' maintenance should I expect? Tire life seems to be lower than I originally anticipated, but I'm not a track driver (yet?), I'm guessing I'll be between 2,000-4,000 miles per year, tops, garage kept, etc. That should offset much of what I was originally worried about.

Personally, I'd prefer a 964 Cabriolet style, the wife wants a Targa or Coupe (she's not picky on 964/993/996, etc). I'm still entertaining either a 2004-2008 Boxster with an outside chance of a 2009-2010 model, though for those prices, I'm back in a 911/996 range, I think.

I am comparing the Porsche costs, including up front purchase price and usual annual maintenance, vs. BMW Z3 M Roadster, BMW Z4, a Factory Five Roadster (Mk II or Mk III), and a not yet-driven Nissan 370Z Roadster that just doesn't do much for me looks wise, but several friends have urged me to try.

By the way, I'm Ken, and I'm a prospective Porsche owner. My goal is to figure out what my likely costs are, then decide what to pursue, Porsche or not, and go looking soon.

I greatly appreciate any input or suggestions. I am in the Washington, DC area, and I've joined PCA Potomac, but I'm not sure what that does for me yet.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If your wife is involved in the decision making and is a passenger or even a driver, buy the newest example you can afford. She will want all the creature comforts she can get. That alone will buy you a better experience with Porsche.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Handlebar
Rennlist Member

Unhappy OK... as for budget?

Anyone else have a reasoned guess for budgeting, on an annual basis?

"What you can afford" up front isn't what I'm asking.

Leaning much more towards a 964 after discussing with the "CFO."

Last edited by Handlebar; 08-07-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like you want to be in the 996 section.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Handlebar
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Sounds like you want to be in the 996 section.
I guess I'm missing something.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:28 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You reference IMS bearing. That is a 996/997 issue, not a 911 issue. You also mention 964/993-this is the 911 section.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The numbers refer to the era or body/engine evolutionary period. 911/964/993/996/997/991 with all sorts of variant in between like the 915/930/934/935/911S/965 and so on.

964 https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/

993 https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/

996 https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/

This is kinda cool:

Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Having owned two shops, I can tell you the unhappiest owners are the nickel counters. That's not to say you just go in and spend, spend, spend. (I NEVER have.) If a +/- $1-2K/yr. isn't a rounding error in your budget, I'd say stick with more pedestrian people movers.

(And I don't even comprehend where a Factory Five enters a maintenance cost equation. I'm pretty deep into a Caterham build discussion with a friend, and she thankfully has never once mentioned money outside of a vague range.)
Old 08-08-2014, 02:26 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is a fun post. Ok, So I am in the dc area too. Started my affair with porsche in 2002 with anew booster, right off the showroom floor at Tischer. I was young and recently married and loving it. Fastforward to the early childhood years and the car gets sold for a benz wagon. Hilarity ensues, and four years and a minivan later, my wife says you have paid your dues, get what ever car you want…I jump to it and find a 2008 macadamia brown 997 that she loved. And then the 2012 new carrera came out, and my lease was up so guess what…theres a 2012 in my driveway. My wife grew up sitting behind her dad in a 1973 911 targa. and despite all the whiz bang of the new cars.. SHE decided that we needed to add an older targa to the family. SHE picked out a 1978 911sc targa that will be her weekend whip. Got it just last week, getting it properly sorted, but what a difference between it and everything else. Cliche as it is, it is raw and elemental Porsche. I race home after work (in the 2012) just to drive the 1978 targa around the neighbor hod, to the store, and on the beltways Esses…pure joy, just like all of the m, but uniquely different…just like all of them. The booster was telegenic in its turn in and feedback, the other cars became bloated and less "direct" in their input and feedback. The 91sc is pure input and feedback, no fat and all fun. Enjoy
Old 08-08-2014, 02:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I guess I'm not cool. I think I know what a whip is....kind of "homeboy" for "ride"?? I've no clue what a "booster" is. Is that some kind of slang for a turbo?

Originally Posted by stevebmd
this is a fun post. Ok, So I am in the dc area too. Started my affair with porsche in 2002 with anew booster, right off the showroom floor at Tischer. I was young and recently married and loving it. Fastforward to the early childhood years and the car gets sold for a benz wagon. Hilarity ensues, and four years and a minivan later, my wife says you have paid your dues, get what ever car you want…I jump to it and find a 2008 macadamia brown 997 that she loved. And then the 2012 new carrera came out, and my lease was up so guess what…theres a 2012 in my driveway. My wife grew up sitting behind her dad in a 1973 911 targa. and despite all the whiz bang of the new cars.. SHE decided that we needed to add an older targa to the family. SHE picked out a 1978 911sc targa that will be her weekend whip. Got it just last week, getting it properly sorted, but what a difference between it and everything else. Cliche as it is, it is raw and elemental Porsche. I race home after work (in the 2012) just to drive the 1978 targa around the neighbor hod, to the store, and on the beltways Esses…pure joy, just like all of the m, but uniquely different…just like all of them. The booster was telegenic in its turn in and feedback, the other cars became bloated and less "direct" in their input and feedback. The 91sc is pure input and feedback, no fat and all fun. Enjoy
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,155 Likes on 827 Posts

gees seriously ? i just figured out the "whip" is the guy who gets everybody to vote along party lines ... and thats juts coz i learned everything i know about US politics from " house of cards" ..do i have to start over ?

i thought he just mis spelled it and it was Boxster maybe ? Also dont know what a Tischer is..

Steve you have to remember this is an international forum and you have to communicate like not everyone is from your "hood" ... im in with the cool kids now coz i knoww hat a "hood " is ..

BTW Doug thats a cool Pic but should have been more break out in the early years, o think definite departure from 73--->74 and 77 ---> 78 .. we kind of need that as an instruction on which forums to post to.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Handlebar
Rennlist Member

I just wanted to know if one model or another was a money pit that I wasn't aware of.

Looks like I'll be fine, thanks.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,155 Likes on 827 Posts

the only money pit you might want to do research on is the 996/ Boxster series . ..basically anything that has an IMS bearing issue.

but that said any Porsche is considered a money pit that has not been maintained properly or has hidden issues

PPI is the key.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:19 PM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handlebar- for air cooled cars, the 964 and 993 cars will be more expensive by far than an earlier G series car. Fewer made, less availability & more expensive parts, more technology to break. Example: I can buy an entire set of the top tires made for my '85 for what ONE rear tire cost for my '96 C4S. Brakes are even worse. If that's the kind of wearable item maintenance you're concerned with, then there's your answer. Transmission rebuild costs 3x etc.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonSnow83
Handlebar- for air cooled cars, the 964 and 993 cars will be more expensive by far than an earlier G series car. Fewer made, less availability & more expensive parts, more technology to break. Example: I can buy an entire set of the top tires made for my '85 for what ONE rear tire cost for my '96 C4S. Brakes are even worse. If that's the kind of wearable item maintenance you're concerned with, then there's your answer. Transmission rebuild costs 3x etc.
I don't agree with this-My 993 isn't expensive to run at all compared to my old 3.2. Tires are pretty much the same-brakes maybe a bit more, but 993's are very robust as a whole.

Quick Reply: Average Annual Maintenance Cost?