Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need 911sc Pricing and Prebuy Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 10:33 AM
DM
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Need 911sc Pricing and Prebuy Advice

I'm searching for a nice 911sc with a solid drive train (no fixer uppers). I have found an '82 911sc with 83K on it, rebuilt trans and very nice shape. I'll have a PPI done, but I am SO PARANOID about having to go through an engine rebuild!

Here are my questions.

How worried should I be about the head stud issue?

Any idea of the percentage of these cars that end up poping a head stud?

What is a range of pricing for this car?

The pop-off valve and tesioner update has not been done. If I drive this car from CA to MN should I have these done in CA before I leave?

DM
Old 08-11-2003, 11:20 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

With an SC - you have the 3.0 - one of the most (if not THE most) durable Porsche engines ever. 84,000 miles is nothing - but - if it was me driving it across the country I would -

#1 have it gone over by a competent Porsche mechanic to make sure there are no hidden suprises (tell him you are driving across country)

#2 have him fix the tensioners and install a pop-off valve.

- You would probably be fine - but cam chains coming loose and turning 1/2 your engine to scap on a drive across the country is not my idea of fun.

Can you find a Carrera in your price range? These are things you don't have to worry about in a 3.2 - pulled head studs to an even lesser degree.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:25 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need 911sc Pricing and Prebuy Advice

Originally posted by DM
I'm searching for a nice 911sc with a solid drive train (no fixer uppers). I have found an '82 911sc with 83K on it, rebuilt trans and very nice shape. I'll have a PPI done, but I am SO PARANOID about having to go through an engine rebuild!

Here are my questions.

How worried should I be about the head stud issue?

Any idea of the percentage of these cars that end up poping a head stud?

What is a range of pricing for this car?

The pop-off valve and tesioner update has not been done. If I drive this car from CA to MN should I have these done in CA before I leave?

DM
I will answer you from a personal standpoint, you may decide to go a different route.

The PPI will help you know if there is a current issue to be addressed such as head studs etc. Discuss your concerns with the shop doing the PPI so they can help you understand the sitiuation.

Do you have any maintenace history?

If the currrent tensioners are ok, I would think you would be ok for the trip. My 1973, did not have carrera tensioners installed until 118,000 miles and they were ok when changed out.

From what I have heard, the head stud issue is real and you can drive for quite a while with a broken stud (although you may be doing yourself no favor).

For pricing, check the lastest report in excellence but "Car of Particular Interest" price guide gives a price of $13,500 for a "good" car. Start at that price and deduct for the PPI concerns.

If you do buy the car, I would have a maintenance done that includes fluid and filter changes, valve adjustment, brakes (if needed), and mixture check/adjustment.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:33 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get a pop off valve installed and have the shop check the tensioners. If they check out okay, there is practically no risk to drive the car cross country. I don't want to call the chain tensioner upgrade a 'hype', I think it is a solid investment and cheap insurance, but I think the non oil fed ones are less of a problem than people think. I am at 150k miles w/o oil fed tensioners. I plan on putting them but am not in a particular hurry.

George
Old 08-11-2003, 03:20 PM
cyprusx
AutoX

Way to go!!!! I purchased an 88 Carrera Targa in FL and drove it up to MN and it was the most enjoyable long distance trip ever!!!!

I was in much worse shape then you are now since you have been armed with the knowledge of this forum. I didn't know squat about 911's, history, what to look for, etc. that are particular to the 911. I know, well for the most part of the common things to look for while buying a used car but there is more when buying a 911. There are many places to reference to make sure you are getting a numbers matched, good condition 911. I recommend compiling a list that you can check off while inspecting.

As it turns out, I made out OK. No problems with the car and I have put almost 4,000 miles on it since I purchased it this summer. I just can't stop driving it!!!

Good luck and let us know how you make out...
Old 08-11-2003, 04:20 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

The only reason I recommended the chain tensioner upgrade is because being so paranoid about rebuilding an engine and #2 because CA should have more qualified Porshe mechanics than MN - all things being equal.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:57 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

The only reason I recommended the chain tensioner upgrade is because being so paranoid about rebuilding an engine and #2 because CA should have more qualified Porshe mechanics than MN - all things being equal.
Jeremy: True. I think you are right, a paranoid person should absolutely have a chain tensioner upgrade done and also true, there are many good shops in CA.

George
Old 08-11-2003, 07:03 PM
DM
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Engine/Body Numbers Match

Where do I look on the engine to confirm the numbers match with the VIN on a SC or Carrera? Will there be an exact numbers match?
Old 08-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a guy on the Pelican board named Steve W. selling a nice white SC in NE, if that's a little closer to you.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:02 AM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 911 SC

The head stud issue is very real on SC's. While you may get by with one for a while, I wouldn't go too far. Its important to know what you have before the purchase because the head stud issue could be expensive to fix.
For your information, 2 years ago I bought a california car 1979 SC for 12 in very nice shape. Sold it a couple weeks later to a guy who has had great luck with it. I agree with others on the caution regarding pop-off and tensioners.

Quick Reply: Need 911sc Pricing and Prebuy Advice