Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 salvage title

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 911 salvage title

Was looking for a project 911 that I could turn into a 73 RSR type clone. Does this car look like a good place to start? Or should I head for the hills? Chime in!

Jase.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1673317
Attached Images    
Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Jason,

It might be a good candidate for your RSR project, however this will depend on why it has a salvage title and whether the chassis is in perfect condition or not.

Remember, 930 prices have really shot up and this one may be too valuable to re-make into something else.

It IS the perfect chassis for an RSR, though.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on what you want to have tied up in something when you're done. I sold a clean title shell of an '84 (granted, a Targa) for $2K earlier this year.

So here we have a salvage title '85, some flares welded on, and a 930 engine thrown in. Could have been a car I did 20+ years ago. But unless you've got a folder full of documentation + solid cosmetics, I don't see how this sells to a sophisticated buyer for half the ask.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:57 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A 73 RSR (as opposed to '74) will require new fenders, hood, bumpers, rear fascia, lights, etc, etc, so most of the body will have to be redone anyway. It will also require new interior, seats, etc, etc.

IMHO, you can buy a crappy-looking SC/Carrara with bad paint, non-structural rust, gut-job interior, and maybe a mildly bad engine for about $4K or so. As long as the motor and trans are rebuildable, and the tub is straight, you can do a nice job with after-market fiberglass bodywork, and have a really light car.

I have investigated such a conversion, and if you do most of the work yourself, and don't get crazy with expensive parts you can bring it in about $20-30K of build cost.... about what you'd spend for this car.

Of course, if you have the work done professionally, and go nuts, you can easily double or triple that, and end up with a car that's worth a fraction of it's build cost, so unless you are doing this as a project for fun, for $28K, you'd be much better off just buying a nice clean 3.2 Carrara... but it's your money.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Depends on what you want to have tied up in something when you're done. I sold a clean title shell of an '84 (granted, a Targa) for $2K earlier this year.

So here we have a salvage title '85, some flares welded on, and a 930 engine thrown in. Could have been a car I did 20+ years ago. But unless you've got a folder full of documentation + solid cosmetics, I don't see how this sells to a sophisticated buyer for half the ask.
+1
If I recall correctly, this car was previously posted on pelican as a salvage title "930"......now, the car is posted as a 911 with added flares. I could not agree more with the price being waaaaay out of line, even in todays white hot market.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

its a frankenporsche. but not at frankenporsche price
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, Frankenporsche.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! My apologies for the hastily written post and the late response. Work has been absolute Hell lately.

The project I have in mind is along the lines of Jack Olsen's "Black Beauty 2". So in the end it won't be a real RSR clone and it will therefore, be a frankenporsche of sorts. So, in searching for a place to start, I hesitate to get a nice clean solid example of a mid 70s to mid 80s 911 and start chopping and welding.

In regards to the wreck the guy is selling above. I thought: "Well, there is a car that I would have no regrets ripping to pieces...". Clearly the guy is way out of line with his price. He is asking MORE than a clean, unscathed, well maintained 911SC might fetch, with records to prove it. When I talked to him last week, I almost asked: "What color is the sky in your world?", hehe. (obviously it was still available).

Anyhow, if work slows up and I can make the drive out there... I'll give it an eyeball to see if there is any evidence of a really bad crash. I'd only offer him 5K to take it off his lot, I don't see how anyone is going to touch it for a turnkey ride. He'll probably be insulted and I'll end up buying a better shell. At least I'll have better peace of mind!

Thanks again guys!

Jase.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

UPDATE - Apparently someone bought it for $19,900.00 CDN... waaaaaaaay too much.

Quick Reply: 911 salvage title