Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 02:36 PM
efraini
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement

I just bough my Porsche two months ago. It was an incredible deal from a friend. Off the back, I knew I had to do the clutch & take care of some oil leaks.

I was trained as a diesel mechanic in the Army, so I am a little bit mechanically inclined. I have only assisted on a clutch job for a Japanese car and it seemed pretty simple.

I did some research and found on the Pelican Parts forum a detailed plan to change the clutch.

I wanted to know if anybody had ventured into this land of clutch replacement and any tidbits.

Thanks,
Efrain I.

efraini@hotmail.com
Old 08-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch

I just did one on a 86. It wasn't too technicle but I was glad that I had someone who had done it many times before help me. IMHO Pelican is way off by recommending that you drop the engine and leave the tranny. The tranny is only a little more work, and it is enough of a pain to attach the tranny to the engine with it out of the car, that I could not imagine trying to get everything lined up from underneath.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:42 PM
efraini
Cruisin'

For now I'm flying solo on this project, but I have plenty of time for the project. I plan on doing it over the holidays. Two weeks w/nowhere to go.

Thanks for the pointer on the tranny. It'll come down.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:41 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm in the middle of replacing the flywheel on my 90 C2. So far, so good.

The sears ATV jack is working great for getting the engine down, and around. It holds both the engine and transmission together (had to remove the rear muffler).

Since I don't have a lift... jackstands for the rear of the car, and removing the bumper gave me enough clearance to get the engine out from under the car.

If you follow the Pelican engine drop, things are very similar. You disconnect the transmission lever from under the car, not inside as they show (they discuss an older car)

Also, there is a "fork" that actuates the throw out bearing that has to be dissasembled before you can separate the engine from the transmission. For this you remove a dust cap, and screw in a 6mm bolt, that will allow you to pull the rod that the fork pivots on, and this will allow you to separate the engine from the trans.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try and answer.
-Eric
(Last weekend I took things out, this weekend, I did a little cleaning, and next weekend I put everything back........ then autox)
Old 08-15-2003, 09:52 PM
efraini
Cruisin'

Thanks Eric.
I have plenty of time to plan for this project. I'll let you know if i run into anything problematic. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:49 AM
StanV
Instructor

hi guys,

I speak as the owner of an '82SC, and I note you're working on cars 8 years and 2 major reworkings newer, so maybe what I have to say is not relevant.
I have a list of "little things to do if the engine is out". Small things like a new crankcase breather hose, or new oil pressure warning lamp sender, new O-ring on the oil cooler thermostat. These are cheap parts, often impossible to get to with the engine in, that occasionally leak oil or may fail. I wonder if any owners of your model year have a similar list that they would share? Could save time & trouble later.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:02 PM
efraini
Cruisin'

Stan,
I don't have a list setup, but I know while the engine is out, I'm planning on doing some things... such as adjust valves, replace leaking main oil line, power steering pump cover gasket replacement,valve cover gasket replacement...maybe I'll setup a later on...

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement