Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Proper way to check oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Burke-FL
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper way to check oil?

Sorry, 911 newbie question. '87 3.2 Cab. Did a search, but want to make sure I am performing this important task properly. Manual says to start and idle for 30 seconds then check level while running. I did this and oil looks very low. Slowly added a bit at a time, then all of a sudden looks like I almost over filled... Also how much trust should I put into the oil gauge? Seems to fluctuate a lot. Btw car has 69k miles, no drips and slight smoke on cold start. I read that is normal as well?
Again sorry for the newbie questions, just want to take care of the girl properly.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Adding oil when the motor is "cold" can get you into an overfill situation. You cant get a good read until its up to operating temp. If its showing on the stick when "cold" you are probably ok. Then get a true reading when its warm.

All done when the motor is at idle.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, do as Mussy says and check it once it is warmed up, sitting level and at idle. You want oil flowing through the cooler too.

Ignore the gauge on the dash (that thing fluctuates like the woman I lived with in high school) and trust in the dip stick.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Burke-FL
Track Day

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Yep, do as Mussy says and check it once it is warmed up, sitting level and at idle. You want oil flowing through the cooler too. Ignore the gauge on the dash (that thing fluctuates like the woman I lived with in high school) and trust in the dip stick.
So the 30 second thing is a bit optimistic? Proper warm motor is way to go. And BTW I think I lived with the same woman...

Thanks guys!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Burke-FL
So the 30 second thing is a bit optimistic?
The woman, or the car?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:53 PM
TheSt|G
3rd Gear

You need to drive around for at least 15 minutes before you can get a good reading. Also, if you overfilled it you need to get it out ASAP.

Never understood the hate for the oil level gauge...mine is spot on.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

It's been a long time since I've read a 911 manual, but I don't think you paid very good attention when you looked at yours.

Pretty sure it says to Fully Warm Up engine FIRST. THEN, you let it idle on level ground for 30 seconds. THEN you check the stick.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:08 AM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Never understood the hate for the oil level gauge...mine is spot on.
Me too. Whenever I do check the dipstick, it matches the oil level gauge.

Being warmed up is needed so the thermostat opens and the thermal expansion of the oil itself is accounted for.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:06 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rule of thumb is to check the oil cooler lines going to the cooler in the right front fender well on my 88 Carrera to make sure they are hot to the touch. Even though I run it up to "temperature", sometimes the thermostat takes longer to open fully. Knowing the tubes are hot, then assures me the oil level will be where I can adequately check it. Been doing it this way over 30 years.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM
tulliotk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also need to sprinkle bay leaves on the ground outside the car while chanting the incantation found the appendix of the factory manual. DO NOT USE THE INCANTATION IN THE HAYES MANUAL!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Pretty sure it says to Fully Warm Up engine FIRST. THEN, you let it idle on level ground for 30 seconds. THEN you check the stick.
Ed is correct and I'd just add that the dipstick will only be accurate when the oil is hot; 190 deg F. This assures that the thermostats are wide open.

Just feel the oil pipes under the right side to make sure its hot.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 AM
awhenry
Advanced

Just check your oil level on the way BACK from a vigorous Sat or Sun morning drive, preferably to the mtns somewhere and you will have an accurate level. It takes a long long time to really warm up the oil in 911 enough to open the thermostat in the oil lines. When I drive to work on a cool day, it takes about 20 minutes or so at 80mph to get it warm enough to check the level correctly. Put it up full is the best advice I can give you.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

personally i think the " has to be 190 hot " blah blah blah is BS

If it had to be 190 to check Porsche would be telling me not check my oil between october and the following April here in Canada.

Just check it after it warms up . dont get hung up on what temperature it needs to be. You are going half way between the max and min anyway so dont get caught up in the internet minutia. If you go for a drive and just come home and put it in the garage even after a grocery store run it will be fine to check then.

it should get to 170 min even wih an intermediate drive around town.

and if anyone tells you oil expands a lot when it gets hot blah blah blah ,thats BS too and they dont know hat they are talking about . you are checking the oil hot because you are checking it dynamically when the stat is open and oil is pumping through the cooler . Has noting to do with th volume of oil related to temp. i think i did the math once and 12 litres expands 200ml from room temp to around 200f . cant quite remember the numbers. but nothing that would even show on the stick.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:41 PM
kkkarpuk
8th Gear

I make a habit of checking the oil dipstick after returning from a drive. I let the car idle after parking in the garage and then check the oil. My dipstick matches the gauge when doing this. Garage is level and the oil is hot enough.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
and if anyone tells you oil expands a lot when it gets hot blah blah blah ,thats BS too and they dont know hat they are talking about .
OK.

Quick Reply: Proper way to check oil?