Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'82 SC Breather Cover Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '82 SC Breather Cover Leak

I have been chasing this oil leak and will be dropping the motor for the third time this season.

My question to the community is why would the car keep blowing the breather cover seal and leak there? Is it really such a high pressure area?

Car is tracked monthly and only driven on weekends.

Could a pressure relief valve be stuck and this is just where it is 'deciding' to leak every time?

Need experience here... have only owned the car for 3 years.

Thanks in advanced.

JR
Old 07-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any chance it isn't the breather, but rather the internal thermostat next to it? Once there is oil on top of the engine there is no telling where it is coming from. I thought I had a leaking on-engine oil cooler and it turned out to be that thermostat seal.

Take a good long look at this post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/11129462-post130.html

On my engine I ended up getting it right, but not until I was beyond frustrated:

https://rennlist.com/forums/11061882-post45.html
Old 07-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good suggestion... however I didn't offer a full explanation I guess. I had previously replaced all of these seals not more than a year or so ago. The breather cover started leaking at the start of the year (I had the motor out this past winter to do cams) While it was out I changed the hardware on the breather cover and I presumed I upset the seal when I did that. After I replaced the cover seal and straightened it out again I had no oil leaks for about 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden leaking again, appears to be same spot again, it's on both side of top of the motor, not as much as before, but it also drips down onto the pass side exhaust.

Maybe the t-stat o-ring has failed? I doubt it though because it was replaced relatively recently... but also hard to believe the breather cover is leaking again so soon.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be looking for a leak where you know there is oil under pressure. To me the term "breather" doesn't sound like it is oil under pressure. ( I could be wrong). I would look hard at the other two known culprits next to it. The red top of the switch is known to crack and spray oil too.

What color Tstat O-ring did you use? The green one is the better material.

This is where a GoPro comes in handy.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Good suggestion... however I didn't offer a full explanation I guess. I had previously replaced all of these seals not more than a year or so ago. The breather cover started leaking at the start of the year (I had the motor out this past winter to do cams) While it was out I changed the hardware on the breather cover and I presumed I upset the seal when I did that. After I replaced the cover seal and straightened it out again I had no oil leaks for about 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden leaking again, appears to be same spot again, it's on both side of top of the motor, not as much as before, but it also drips down onto the pass side exhaust.

Maybe the t-stat o-ring has failed? I doubt it though because it was replaced relatively recently... but also hard to believe the breather cover is leaking again so soon.
I would try and get a replacement cover from randy at whale tail if you are going back in
Also you can put some of that blue sealant crap on with it. Guaranteed not to leak but good luck getting it off again. Can't remember the name but il post it in a bit.

I made my own gasket for the gear box inspection plate and put that crap on and it's been bone dry ever since.

I can't even remember there that hose goes but I don't think that is the one with the restrictor. If it is check to see if its clear.

The blue stuff is curil-t I got it at napa

Quick Reply: '82 SC Breather Cover Leak