Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C System Conversion/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C System Conversion/Upgrade

On my 3.2 conversion project I want to upgrade the stock A/C system to a more modern 964/993 one.

Does anyone have experience with that?

The ultimate goal is a more efficient system, and swap the dash/center console controls from this:
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To that:
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This could be a first. Lots of us just gave up and ripped it all out. I know I did. Heck, most of my heat is gone too. Next is taking out all the silly extra fresh air blower and box and going with two options: windows up, windows down. ....ok, I'm sorta kidding there.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like a good idea but my wallet slapped me for just thinking about it.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:50 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

$200 to convert to R-134a plus a few DIY mods and you can have an adequate system for your area. $300 if you throw in a new drier and a Red DOT trinary pressure senser/switch.

Your '88 already has the ability to provide additional engine cooling airflow if/when conditions warrant. HOT climate, consistently low roadspeed, engine RPM consistently to low to provide adequate engine cooling. That some ability can easily be modified for use as an auxillary method for additional , >2X (***), cooling of the rear lid condenser if/when conditions warrant.

Wire the binary switch section of the Red Dot to protect and control (limit the high side pressures to 325 PSI just as the EPA "requires"), and the third switch between ground and pin 10 of the cabin heater control module, in parallel with the engine oil temperature sensor.

If you haven't already tinted the windows then that would also help.

*** 3X with a simple DIY mod to the cabin heater blower.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...r-upgrade.html
Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bola964
On my 3.2 conversion project I want to upgrade the stock A/C system to a more modern 964/993 one.

Does anyone have experience with that?

The ultimate goal is a more efficient system, and swap the dash/center console controls from this:
Don't know exactly why you'd want a 964/993 system.
Very difficult to drop a 964/993 evap box in the front trunk.
The compressor is no better than the 10P15C: you'd need a different mount.
Quite a few have 'hacked' a 964/993 condenser unit in the LH front fender, but it is work.
By the time you custom bend aluminum or copper tubes for the runs you could have easily dropped in a set of barrier hoses.

If you are considering the 964/993 head unit.... hmmm, the stock center console thermostat and fan speed switch is more reliable compared to the later head unit. Then you will have to assemble some actuators for fresh air, mixed air, and recirc modes; not sure of the driver voltages you'd need.

But... if that is what floats your boat then go have some fun.

Quick Reply: A/C System Conversion/Upgrade