Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Manual or Automatic shift preferences

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:15 PM
izoot
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or Automatic shift preferences

Evening ... I have what may just be a trivia type of question. But I was talking with a friend who was telling me that the 911S (I have a 2010 ) in Europe were mostly Manual's as opposed to PDK. I suppose I can see that in Europe ... but is that actually the case?

Thanks,

Ira
Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually thought that most of the manual transmissions ended up in the United States.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

No idea ... a shame that manufacturers are moving away from the third peddle .. Automatic in a sports car is for pussies.. The only valid excpetion i if you have a physical disability , then its great as it allows these unfortunate people to drive some really nice cars.

Fortunately for us we dont have to worry about it as sportomatics are so rare

OP try the 991 forum or 997 , you may get more info .
Old 07-06-2014, 04:19 PM
izoot
Cruisin'

I definitely miss the whole "traditional shifting experience" but as I get used to the PDK the more I like it for the perfomance. I'm sure I won't miss the replacement/repair costs that went along with the manual. Thanks for your replies folks. I may try some other places for the answer but it's not really a pressing thing. Just came up in a discussion and thought it was an interesting question at the time.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Sikorsky
Track Day

Originally Posted by izoot
I definitely miss the whole "traditional shifting experience" but as I get used to the PDK the more I like it for the perfomance. I'm sure I won't miss the replacement/repair costs that went along with the manual. Thanks for your replies folks. I may try some other places for the answer but it's not really a pressing thing. Just came up in a discussion and thought it was an interesting question at the time.
There is no doubt that a PDK will shift far smoother and faster than any human ever could.

I will never own one. For me, shifting is a huge part of the enjoyment. It connects me with the car and the act of driving. I won't slam anyone who prefers the new, modern technology; whatever floats your boat.

But as for maintenance costs, going with info from a good buddy who runs an independent German automotive shop, ain't nothing cheap these days.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Sikorsky
But as for maintenance costs, going with info from a good buddy who runs an independent German automotive shop, ain't nothing cheap these days.
Oh so true.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by izoot
You're missing Iceman's point: This is the 911 forum. You seem to be asking questions related to newer Porsches, there are subforums here for all of the models along the history.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic shift preferences