Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

18 years later, this new guy has questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Shiner
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 years later, this new guy has questions

18 years ago I bought a (euro style) 1983 911SC Cabriolet. It was a spontaneous buy. I put a new top on it, threw some speakers in it, and 18 years later it is still in my garage. Never drove it much, maybe 200 miles a year---you know work, kids, wife, more work etc. I thought of selling it a few times, but never could let go even though I did not drive it much. She has a few dings and scratches, but looks pretty good from across the parking lot.

So here are my questions (with many more to follow).....first of all a disclaimer, I do not know much about my car so no making fun of me! All I know is I put a key in it and it starts. I digress, so my oldest kid is now a driver and stole my everyday car so I have been driving the 911. Guess what, what a cool car! So now it is time to learn about the car that has been behind bikes, skateboards and garbage cans since 1995.

1. How do I research the history on this particular car, this VIN #? Remember it is a EURO car. I want to know previous owners etc.

2. If a guy has two opposing thumbs, and is not a complete moron...are these cars hard to work on in ones own garage? No I do not anything about cars other than that silly......"suck, bang, squeeze, blow" saying.

3.I'm considering, slowly, very slowly, fixing the car up....where does one start.? What web sites, books, forums etc do I turn to for help?

I look forward to reading your ideas and comments. Help me figure out what I have and what to do with it!

Shiner

Last edited by Shiner; 06-28-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:13 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with the 101 projects book. Pretty helpful for small projects.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Shiner
8th Gear

101projects book? Is that the title?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

Here you go:
http://www.101projects.com/Porsche-101/index.htm

The factory manuals are super expensive, but the Bentley manual is a great companion to the 101 Projects:
http://smile.amazon.com/Porsche-Serv...y+manual+911sc

Post some photos of the car - interior, underside, engine. You'll get lots of feedback on places to do some work, and how to do it.

Mark
Old 06-27-2014, 12:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome. Love cabriolets. There are no impossible tasks. The best part of owning an old Porsche is the vast array of directions you can go with them. You can go factory stock all the way to backdating. It really is a blank canvas. Some mods are more socially acceptable than others. Shy of dropping in an LS engine you are good.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 AM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Like falling back in love with your wife. Cool. I would also recommend that you use the wealth of knowledge on this forum to find a competent, independent Porsche repair shop, if you do not already have one. Folks on this forum know every nook and crannie and who is considered good out there. With information about your whereabouts, they can really help. Have fun
Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

The 101 Projects book is sort of a teaser. It's great for whetting your appetite. It's good if you want to learn how to change the oil. However, if you want to learn how to tune the carburetor, it provides just enough information for you to turn your running car into a 2500 lb. paperweight. In addition, the 911 has evolved over time, and no instruction manual can be universal.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
The 101 Projects book is sort of a teaser. It's great for whetting your appetite. It's good if you want to learn how to change the oil. However, if you want to learn how to tune the carburetor, it provides just enough information for you to turn your running car into a 2500 lb. paperweight. In addition, the 911 has evolved over time, and no instruction manual can be universal.
agree with the above commnets. " a little knowledge can be dangerous".

re : History , With privacy of information being the hot topic of this decade this is growing increasingly difficult. Although it would be nice , you are going to be using favours and lots of phone calls. No one should be giving that information up easily.

especailly in Europe where "safe Harbor" is in force. I would just say forget it and enjoy your car , use your research for other things.

if you really dont know anything about cars i would follow the find a good independant route. it is very easy to make cheap repair into an expensive one on these cars.

But if you are mechanically inclined , start with 101 projects and a Bentley . Only tackle what you can handle.

While we are all about DIY here we also have a responsibility of steering those clear that might get themselves into trouble. From what you have posted ,, go with the independant ..
Old 06-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Clive, I have done things to cars I never dreamed of doing by simply logging onto youtube. Mechanics all over North America are making a few extra bucks by posting instructional how-to videos. I just type in a few key words and I am a learnin' fool.

Granted, my 3,2 is child's play compared to earlier displacement variants, but the engine isn't the entire car. With what can be found here, in the Bentley, and on YouTube, anyone that can own a nice set of tools can work on a 911. I am living proof that it is a very simple car.

.....and www.pelicanparts.com is your friend.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Shiner
8th Gear

Thanks everyone, great thoughts.

I am not an idiot, just never really tinkered in the garage....never had the time.

I live near Seattle and I have always taken my car to Akers in Seattle, and will continue to rely on them for "real work".

In the mean time I want to walk slowly into the long list of little things that need to be done.

I will post some pics.

Shiner
Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Shiner
8th Gear

[IMG]Name:  G40rutx.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  1.12 MB[/IMG]
[IMG]Name:  0NIn69m.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  735.1 KB[/IMG]
[IMG]Name:  hM4MvDs.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  882.9 KB[/IMG]
[IMG]Name:  zMCbWqB.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  849.6 KB[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Shiner
8th Gear

I called Porsche of America and they ran the VIN #.....not a car built for the US. Was told to contact Porsche of Germany/Europe....uh????

Conclusion this car was built as a euro car for a euro customer.....then, at some later date was imported by an individual not imported by Porsche.

Hunt for details continues
Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Shiner
8th Gear

I have what I think are the original headlights as well......I have been packing around two yellow boxes with old looking 911 lights for 18 years.

So what jumps out at you from the photos that needs work?

I did order both books----thanks Mark.

First question is: Occasionally when I shift from 1st to 2nd the gear shift sort of "pops" out of 1st gear as I transition to 2nd gear. Doesn't happen often...
Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd start with engine and brakes, and then trans. You have a very nice car, and presumably very low miles. She is worth spending a few $ on to bring her back to fine shape.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

And hold on to (or reinstall) those original lights. They are probably real H4's, and worth a lot of money. New ones are $300-$400 each.

Mark

Quick Reply: 18 years later, this new guy has questions