knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking noise

Hi all-

I'm trying to help a buddy with an '82 SC identify an issue. He is getting a knocking noise at low speeds coming from left front. It does speed up in frequency as he accelerates but seems to go away completely at higher speeds (or maybe he just doesn't hear it).

Originally I was thinking a worn control arm bushing but now I'm not sure... He describes it as pretty loud at low speeds around town.

I know that's not much to go on but I'll be interested to hear thoughts on what it might be...

thanks,

Jim
Old 06-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it a random thump when he hits a bump, or a rhythmic click that increases with speed. If the former it is suspension related, and if the later it is wheel bearings.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

Wheel bearings are easy to replace on that car ... well.... AFTER you get that damn cap off ...
Old 06-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by theiceman
Wheel bearings are easy to replace on that car ... well.... AFTER you get that damn cap off ...
It's the stupid double lib behind the race that is the real killer. If you aren't paying attention and think you still have another 1mm to go ...
Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Jack up the car until the tire is off the ground. Grab the tire at 12:00 and 6:00 and shake it in and out. If it rattles you have most likely also lost your brake rotor and pads. They should be replaced in sets, not individually. Very common. Once bearings are loose they take everything else down with them.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do the wheel shake thing with the car on the ground, just put your body weight into it. I'd also try to push down on the bumper on one side, then the other. If you can't find the thunk, then you have to jack the car up and start pushing and pulling.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I kinda left something out of this little post of mine.

To check for play in your front wheel bearings follow instructions below:

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Jack up the car until the tire is off the ground. Grab the tire at 12:00 and 6:00 and shake it in and out. If it rattles you have most likely also lost your brake rotor and pads. They should be replaced in sets, not individually. Very common. Once bearings are loose they take everything else down with them.
...and Russell....one of these days.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

re: Getting that damned cap off.

Go to your local car parts place and get a muffler clamp that will fit over the cap. (I forget the size and aren't at home to measure it; measure the cap diameter at the groove before you go.) Install that on the cap in the groove in the cap and tighten it down. Then you have a great lip (the U-bolt clamp) to pry on and the cap will come right off. Works great for me!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam Driver
re: Getting that damned cap off.

Go to your local car parts place and get a muffler clamp that will fit over the cap. (I forget the size and aren't at home to measure it; measure the cap diameter at the groove before you go.) Install that on the cap in the groove in the cap and tighten it down. Then you have a great lip (the U-bolt clamp) to pry on and the cap will come right off. Works great for me!
2 inch I think I used

Its been a while
Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 PM
cab713
Track Day

Hi All,

It's my car in question that has the knock. I can recreate the sound if I push down forcefully on the body above the driver's side wheel. Grabbing the tire and moving under load does not create the sound.

What's odd is that I can drive the car cold and not hear the knock. Once the car has been driven for a while, the knock starts to show up at very low speed on pot hole covered Atlanta roads. Drove 200 miles through the mountains last week without a sound, but when I got back in town, the knock was very noticeable. Drove the car to lunch the following day (10 minutes) and not a sound. Ideas?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Is the battery good and tight? Could be cables or vent lines or even the odometer....maybe a loose fenderwell blower. Could be anything.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:51 PM
cab713
Track Day

I think I've got it narrowed down to the strut. Drove it yesterday and by the time I got home it was knocking and/or squeaking pretty good. Pushed down on the fender and it would squeak on the down and up. Do it slowly or quickly and it doesn't matter. It wasn't making this noise when I first started off, so there's a usage/time element to it.

Seems like replacing the strut inserts might be the solution. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: knocking noise