Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Owner 1986 Carrera-(Mecum Video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:42 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by greg1990964
Sounds like you are having fun being a new 911 owner. Bilsteins are shiny silver color. You would know. Sounds stock. Grab some HD's snd H&r lowering springs or eibachs. Good luck!
Want to point us to the lowering spring aisle for torsion bar chassis 911s?

Honestly don't remember anything but green or black (Koni reds on the old, old cars!) strut housings.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

All the bilstiens I have ever seen are green or yellow, boge's are black.
Phil
Old 07-04-2014, 01:32 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Greg is talking about a 964 tub, not a torsion bar car like ours.

If your struts are black you most likely have Boge (or really dirty bilsteins). I have Boge on my blue car and Bilsteins on my red car. They are very different in the way the strut insert is attached at the top but are the same otherwise. Bilstein makes a great retrofit insert for the Boge that drops right in. The Boge have fluid in the body of the strut that is kind of a pain to deal with, other than that it's not too big a deal. Getting the strut back through the camber plate is the hardest part of the job.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:59 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgot I was on 911 page not 964 page..Opps.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Congrats! Love the colour and yes 86 is the best year.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Beak
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Gorgeous car. Don't sweat the mileage, they're meant to be driven (mine had 230,000 on it when I bought it!).

-Dan
Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Burke-FL
Track Day

I love watching the auctions. So cool it was filmed! Congrats on a beauty!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 AM
NeedAJoker
Intermediate

Dropped the 911 off at the shop today and am excited to get a few things sorted out.

Things that I told the shop to look at:

1) Full tune up, valves, spark plugs, filters, etc
2) Front suspension squeak(without looking mech thought good chance it was sway bars)
3) Random ground wire on driver side engine bay just flopping around not attached. He seemed to know where they go.
4) Shifter bushings. I don't have another car to compare to so no clue if they are brand new or worn through.
5) A/C. Fully expecting him to tell me it is a big fix, in which case I will decide to keep or remove. If simple fix, then obviously will do it.
6) Wheel Bearings. I have a semi-loud droning sound at less than 2 mph when accelerating and decelerating to a stop. I truly have no clue if it is wheel bearings but I am just guessing off my reading.
7) Hood Latch. The latch is really tough to close on the hood, to the point where it looks closed, then pops open(scary.) I tried to adjust the latch but it didn't really improve it.
8) Lastly I want him to look at the struts. I am pretty convinced they are warn, but right away he said they were probably OK based on a few pushes on the fenders. I told him I am budgeted for it, and if its on the edge I will probably go with replacements, so he said he would check.

That is all I can think of now, I expect to hear back on Monday or Tuesday what his next steps will be once he has gone through it a bit. I am sure I will have plenty of questions at that point.

Have a great weekend everyone, I will be staring at an empty garage space wishing I was out driving.

Kevin
Old 07-12-2014, 02:46 PM
oprevot
Advanced

Cool Kevin. I am looking forward to hear what your mechanic has to say. I had the whole a/c redone on my car a couple of months ago, and it was expensive . I live in Houston and I like to drive my 911 pretty often, so I had no choice since it's so damn hot here.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:46 PM
NeedAJoker
Intermediate

Default Mechanic Update

So I decided to swing into the mechanic today to chat a little about what he has found so far and I am feeling REALLY good about things.

Here is the list of my concerns to him and updates in red:

1) Full tune up, valves, spark plugs, filters, etcJust getting started here, but everything is looking great. Compression was 155-165 across the board, the spark plugs looked great, and he hasn't checked yet, but fully expects the valve guides to be in great shape due to the condition of the plugs. He drove the car and said he feels like it is running a little bit lean, and wants to replace the O2 sensor, and feels like we will get a nice boost in engine feel once he gets it right.

2) Front suspension squeak(without looking mech thought good chance it was sway bars)Still thinks sway bars, and maybe a little too much play in the wheel bearing both causing the squeak. I asked if the wheel bearings need to be replaced and he stated he would pull them and grease them up and they will be just fine.

3) Random ground wire on driver side engine bay just flopping around not attached. He seemed to know where they go.

4) Shifter bushings. I don't have another car to compare to so no clue if they are brand new or worn through.He had the same issue as me getting into 3rd a few times, but beyond that said it feels like a pretty standard 915. He is going to check/change the fluid and see if things smooth up a bit. Also still going to look at bushings.

5) A/C. Fully expecting him to tell me it is a big fix, in which case I will decide to keep or remove. If simple fix, then obviously will do it.He discovered I have an aftermarket dryer or something in my A/C system, probably an attempt at the owner who had it in Scottsdale, AZ trying desperately to make it better. The compressor is leaking and making some weird noises so he detached the belt and I don't think this is going to be something I am going to focus on fixing right now, or maybe ever.

6) Wheel Bearings. I have a semi-loud droning sound at less than 2 mph when accelerating and decelerating to a stop. I truly have no clue if it is wheel bearings but I am just guessing off my reading.He actually seemed to think that this issue is the brakes catching a little bit for some reason. We sat and spun the wheels there up on the lift and there wasn't any noise at all, so must be something when the weight of the car is on the suspension. Will be interested to hear what this is.

7) Hood Latch. The latch is really tough to close on the hood, to the point where it looks closed, then pops open(scary.) I tried to adjust the latch but it didn't really improve it.Totally forgot about this and didn't mention it.

8) Lastly I want him to look at the struts. I am pretty convinced they are warn, but right away he said they were probably OK based on a few pushes on the fenders. I told him I am budgeted for it, and if its on the edge I will probably go with replacements, so he said he would check.He said they look like they are likely the stock ones, but he showed me that they are not leaking anywhere, and in his opinion, not worth replacing them at this time. I did get a chance to see I do indeed have BOGE rear and fronts.

There are a few additional items that we are going to address as well on top of my above list:

1) He showed me a few of the fuel lines in the engine bay and there were a few small cracks on a couple of them, so he said he would feel comfortable changing them out, which we are going to go ahead and do.

2) My engine pad/firewall was missing, and he showed me an SC that he just did a replacement on with the engine in the car, and it looked great so I am going to have him do it. This is something that I am sure I could do myself but the one he did looked so good I would rather just not worry about it.

3)Oil Leaks- He showed me the few oil leaks we have. One is coming from the left side of the engine, and he showed me some areas around the spark plugs and such where there shouldn't be oil, and said some O-rings and maybe a gasket(?) would likely solve that one. There is also a small leak towards the top of the engine that he pointed out to me(not sure what that is) that he seemed confident he could fix. The last one was at the back of the engine under the fan shroud on the main pulley and he said that one is pretty much screwed without dropping the engine. He can see where someone tried to address the leak before with some sealant he saw down there. He thinks if he cleans that area really well, and applies a sort of epoxy I believe he said, there is a 50/50 chance it will help slow the leak a bit, and maybe stop it for a while.

4) Cat removal: I brought up the idea of replacing the Cat with a bypass or pre-muffler and he said he knows someone with a few used ones and he would see if we could get one at a good price so might go that route if we can.

I still kind of feel like the struts/shocks if original, would have to show me a decent benefit if replaced with new Bilstein's all around? He seemed to think it wouldn't be a big change, but I am feeling like he may just be trying to save me money. I guess maybe this is a project I can attack on my own over the 6 month winter when I am bored. If I take that much time, hopefully I can learn a few things and get it right.

Anyway, everything is looking good so far and I am seriously excited to get it back hopefully next Monday.

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story and awesome car, I love the Iris Blue. Just one problem, lets see some more pics of the car(inside and out).
Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 AM
gerry100
Pro

the hood latch is designed NOT to close unless you reach under the front lip and push the hook to the side.

This prevents slamming the trunk lid on something that doesn't fit under the deceptively shallow trunk
Old 07-17-2014, 12:53 PM
NeedAJoker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gerry100
the hood latch is designed NOT to close unless you reach under the front lip and push the hook to the side.

This prevents slamming the trunk lid on something that doesn't fit under the deceptively shallow trunk
Well, for one, I had no clue that is the case, I just figured mine was a bit worn, so thank you. That isn't my main problem though, its that the main latch won't catch unless I push REALLY hard right below the Porsche emblem. I am literally scared each time that 1) I am going to dent the whole hood with one of these pushes and 2) I am going to hit 3rd gear getting on the freeway and instantly be staring at a wall of Iris Blue metal when it flies open into my face.

If mech doesn't tackle it, I will try adjustments when I get the car back. The lower mechanism looks a bit worn, but as someone else mentioned, the little rubber stoppers on each side of the hood may need to be screwed in and honestly I feel like I remember one being a little loose.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:59 PM
NeedAJoker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nr1416
Great story and awesome car, I love the Iris Blue. Just one problem, lets see some more pics of the car(inside and out).
I was thinking that yesterday, I don't know that I even have a single picture of the interior besides some close up shots of questions I had. Since the car was at auction, there was no dealer listing with 50 pictures or anything.

As soon as I get it back, I will certainly clean her up and snap some cool pictures. The Pacific Northwest is gorgeous right now and I have a few spots in mind to get some pictures on the Canon S95. I will post here as soon as I get some.

Kevin
Old 07-17-2014, 09:05 PM
LjH
Track Day

Nice color choice !

Quick Reply: New Owner 1986 Carrera-(Mecum Video)