Euro H4s and "City Lights"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:32 PM
CDiercks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro H4s and "City Lights"

Here are the lights on my Euro 81:

These are original Euro H4s right? opened up the lights and the original "city light" is in there but has been disconnected by a PO, or when federalized. Here is what the wireing looks like behind the light:

What has been done here???? What is that plug that comes into the bucket, then connects to another set of wires and goes out of the bucket again? I was hoping to find an extra plug or set of wires that were just cut and I could hook up the city lights again. Any ideas. Ultimately I wanted to get the city lights working again.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:14 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Pardon my ignorance -- as I do not have the H4's -- but what is a "city light"?

-Sean
Old 08-06-2003, 06:38 PM
CDiercks
Instructor

If you look at the second picture I posted above, there are two plugs. The top, bigger one is for the main head light bulb. Below it there is a smaller light bulb (8 watts I think) that is called a city light. I don't remember the exact use for it, but I think it was used in europe where a dimmer light was required for city driving. Kind of like the newer daytime running lights that are around here today except not quite as bright. I want to try to get them working again just for the look. They give off a dim glow.

Edit: 87 and on US cars have US H4s that do not have the "city light" present.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:47 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are mistaken, unless they have been replaced with other lights, the 87 and on 911's have the H5 lights that use a 9004 bulb.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:55 PM
CDiercks
Instructor

You are correct. What I ment to say is that 87+ US models LOOK nearly the same as H4s with the exception of the City Light option. So, back to the point of my post: does anyone know how these should be wired?
Old 08-06-2003, 11:31 PM
upallnight
Intermediate

Default City Light

Perhaps you can run a wire from the side marker light so that when you have the side marker light on or low or high beam on the city light will also be on.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:47 PM
bell
AutoX

here's some photoshop action for you,
ground the tab terminal to the brown wire for ground.
then connect the teminal on the bulb socket to your parking light + wire,
or run a wire and put a switch on it,
or run it to the fuse box to a switched terminal so they're on whenever the key is.

there are a couple of ways for these to operate, just depends what you want.

ANY CONNECTION YOU MAKE SHOULD BE VERIFIED WITH A MULTIMETER.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:40 AM
CDiercks
Instructor

Thank you! I will deffinately verify w/ a multimeter.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:53 AM
GeorgeM
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 27 Posts

That's what I did to hook up the city lights. Now they come on with my parking lights, although I don't think that's the european intent.

I've seen cars parked on the side of the road with these lights on and a dim version of the rear lights and no other lights. This used to be or still is a requirement on German cars to highlight the car parked on the street that was a certain distance from a street light.

If you haven't noticed, you can illuminate you parking or signal lights on one side even with the key out by selecting your signal lights for that side. This served the same purpose and it used to be a law here that you had to illuminate the street side lights when parked on the street with no streetlight.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have all the wiring and connectors there for the city lights. No need to cut anything. What happened here is that the conversion shop connected the city light wires to the US side marker light that they put into the bumper. On the Euro cars, there is only a turn signal in the bumper, and the space that has a side marker in US cars has an added rubber rub strip. (IN other words, US market cars have two light units on each side of the bumper, while Euro cars have only one.) So, wiring your city lights should be as simple as disconnecting the wires that run to the side markers (pull them out of the plastic housing in the photo) and connecting them to the city light (black/white wire to the bulb, brown to the ground connection on the housing). However, you will then have inoperable side marker lights. This is what I did on my car (an '83) and I replaced the side markers with the rubber pieces, which I found in the smugglers' well (along with the toolkit, tire pump and tire pressure gauge, etc. in their original plastic bags, unopened after 18 years!).

Quick Reply: Euro H4s and "City Lights"