Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How often do you need to drive a 85-89 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtF
Is there a good reason for driving anything else?
This may be a interesting new thread "good reasons for not driving a 911".!!!
Death is about the only one I could come up with.... Even then...
Old 06-15-2014, 01:07 PM
rfloz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Once I replaced the seal on the internal thermostat she's not dripped another drop. Look, I'll take her for a spin first thing tomorrow morning before I replace the O2 sensors and spark plugs on my sister-in-law's Cienna. ....and you wonder why I don't get out and drive more.
I've owned my share of air/oil cooled vehicles, 2 wheeled as well as 4. Sooner or later, they all leak. Mostly sooner.

Don't even get me started on sister-in-laws. Screw this, I'm taking my daughter to the book store, in the P-car, by the scenic route. Living two miles from Mulholland ain't all bad.

Happy Father's Day to all!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rfloz
I've owned my share of air/oil cooled vehicles, 2 wheeled as well as 4. Sooner or later, they all leak. Mostly sooner.

Don't even get me started on sister-in-laws. Screw this, I'm taking my daughter to the book store, in the P-car, by the scenic route. Living two miles from Mulholland ain't all bad.

Happy Father's Day to all!
I never could figure out how to get on that highway. One end starts close to the Getty gallery, that didn't work as I ended up in some park and it.was a dead end. The other end was a dead end to, but I did go past a house jack nickleson used to own. I swear you guys are keeping access a secret.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM
rfloz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I never could figure out how to get on that highway. One end starts close to the Getty gallery, that didn't work as I ended up in some park and it.was a dead end. The other end was a dead end to, but I did go past a house jack nickleson used to own. I swear you guys are keeping access a secret.
No secrets, just normal L.A. road meandering.

The Mulholland of song, movie and magazine fame is Mulholland Drive and runs about 8 miles east-west from Cahuenga Blvd. (which is parallel to the 101 freeway just north of Hollyweird), to a little past where it crosses over the 405 freeway. In doing so, it crosses Laurel and then Coldwater Canyons. At Coldwater, you turn right and in a couple of hundred yards left to get back on Mulholland.

The above portion of Mulholland has badly degraded asphalt, except for a short stretch that was re-paved a couple of years ago, and very built up these days. Nostalgic, but not much fun.

Maybe a mile after Mulhollamd Drive crosses the 405 it is dirt for about 10 miles. In years gone by I used to ride my 650 Triumph on the dirt road which unfortunately is now closed to motorized vehicles.

The paved portion picks up a little east of Topanga Canyon and wends its way eventually to Pacific Coast Highway at Leo Carillo Beach. From Topanga on it is officially Mulholland (Scenic) Highway. This stretch crosses Las Virgenes Road (Malibu Canyon) and Kanan Dume Road. These are major routes to the beaches and, while scenic, tend to have a fair amount of traffic and frequent visits form the California Highway Patrol.

Mulholland Highway is pretty tightly patrolled, although just east of Kanan Dume is a section sometimes referred to as "The Snake" for reasons that should be obvious and just east of The Snake is the famed Rock Store where on weekends you will find more Harleys that you ever dreamed existed.

Branching off Mulholland Highway at various locations are smaller canyon roads, Stunt, Cold Canyon, which leads to Piuma Canyon, Encinal, Decker and others, most leading eventually to PCH, that are twisty, fun and less traveled. These roads are scenic if you slow down a bit, or second gear playgrounds if you don't.

If you, or anyone else, come to L.A. and would like a guided, or unguided, tour, e-mail me at rloz at roadrunner dot con.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

BTW redridge there is something very unnerving about that steering input angle on your avatar
Now that you mention it, that is crazy. Should be in the other direction in opposite steering lock!
Old 06-17-2014, 02:52 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, from Canada I think you head south first then loop back around and approach it from the other side....that may be your biggest issue.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well i have Rfloz instructions printed out for next trip . Now i just have to figure out the secret handshake.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Ice, you come out and I'll make the trip to LA and we can do the Mulholland thing. I've never done it.

Then, we can come down to my neck of the woods and do the Palomar Mtn thing, which offers many dozens and dozens of miles of fantastic roads, with nary a soul in the early am.

Quick Reply: How often do you need to drive a 85-89 Carrera