Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil level. sorry newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil level. sorry newbie

I just checked my oil level. Only 400 miles since oil change. Car is cold. Not started today. Oil not on the dip stick. Can oil level only be checked when warm or do I have an issue. Sorry I'm new. I crawled around car and did find small leak somewhere in left front. Need to grab a light and find issue. Only saw a drip on garage floor. Thanks in advance. Just need to know if I should go buy oil before starting car again or if they are always low when cold.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Check your oil when the car is running, warmed up, and on a level surface.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 PM
bhmkv
Racer

This is the area of the oil leak. Few drips on garage floor. Can't find the leak. It's near the tow hook area on left front. (My broken tow hook) any ideas? Thanks. Added one nice photo as well.
Attached Images    
Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing that's brake fluid.

Watch the oil pressure when starting, if you don't know the oil level. Always check the motor oil hot, as already stated. Always add while the motor is running (idle). Let it idle for at least 30 seconds to a minute before checking.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM
bhmkv
Racer

I just had the brakes rebuilt last week. Smells like oil. Is that an oil cooler right under the front bumper?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

No, that's more likely the front AC condenser. The oil cooler is in the right front fender, in front of the wheel and behind the headlight bucket.

It's possible someone added an oil cooler, but then you would likely have an opening for air flow in the middle of the front valence, and the oil cooler in the front fender is probably gone.

Mark
Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Dumb? But would the condenser leak an oil?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, there is a lubricant in the AC system, but I doubt it would be leaking. Does your AC work? If it does, it's not leaking lubricant.

I think rusnak is right, and it could be brake fluid. Check under the master cylinder where it meets the brake booster. Is it wet? There should also be an overflow line coming off the master cylinder reservoir. Follow that - is that dripping brake fluid?

If those areas are not wet, try following the oil lines that run under the passenger side door to the oil cooler, and see if there is any seepage there. I suppose the oil could be traveling across to the left side, but seems unlikely without leaving drips on the right side too.

Mark
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Under the rear deck lid. Isn't that the ac condenser or is that a oil cooler? It's bolted to the rear deck lid. Looked like ac lines running in and out. Sorry again. Still learning all I can about my new car.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like brake fluid. Is there an brake fluid overflow tube like on a 996 on the driver's side under front bumper? AC condenser is bolted to your deck lid, yes not oil cooling.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bhmkv
Under the rear deck lid. Isn't that the ac condenser or is that a oil cooler? It's bolted to the rear deck lid. Looked like ac lines running in and out. Sorry again. Still learning all I can about my new car.
There are two condensers. One under the rear deck lid, one in front.

Is the front unit you referred to behind the valence and perpendicular to the ground, or is it mounted flat and parallel to the ground? If the former, it's probably an oil cooler. If the latter, it's the AC condenser. You could have both. Need a better photo.

This image shows the AC condenser flat under the front of the car, oil cooler behind the fan under the right headlight.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/...a337f7bc_b.jpg

Mark
Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Could it be a leaky steering rack? Does the oil have a reddish tint to it?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by bhmkv
I just had the brakes rebuilt last week. Smells like oil. Is that an oil cooler right under the front bumper?
The fact that the brakes was recently worked on is a good reason to look there for the source of the leak first.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Im leaning toward brake fluid. I just had the brakes rebuilt 2 weeks ago. Once Im sure ill update the info. Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 12:53 PM
shadopadla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a nut wasn't tightened enough, this happened to me when a shop replaced a caliper. Be very careful/ monitor the brake fluid reservoir level if it's a brake fluid leak, I didn't realize there was a leak until my brake pedal went to the floor and I discovered I didn't have any brake fluid left. Needless to say that was quite a scary drive.

Quick Reply: oil level. sorry newbie