Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 Third Gear Moving???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 PM
thesauce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 915 Third Gear Moving???

I have an 84 Carrera that I have owned for about 18 months. I daily drive it and have stayed current with maintenance at a great shop. Three days ago it became difficult to shift directly from 2 to 3. If I go straight to where it normally is, it feels as though I've 'hit a wall' where the gear should be. If I double clutch it occasionally opens in its usual spot, or if I nudge gently to the right towards 5 I can find it. Once or twice I have had to push all the way to where 5 should be to get into 3. The danger is I have twice now missed and shifted into 1 from 2 which I have never done before, luckily I am slow letting my foot off the clutch and I didn't fully engage the gear. Also weird, I can go straight "up" into 3 from 4, but if I go 2-3 then 4 is down and left instead of straight down as though I am coming from 5 instead of 3. So, upshifting is out of whack and intermittently so, downshifting everything is in its right place. I know this sounds a little strange, I tried searching for any other instances of this problem and haven't found one.

I have a factory short shift and a Robotek spring that centers from 1-2, so though I know the pattern I usually don't have to think about where the shift is headed. Iam open to putting in a higher quality coupler if that will help, right now I have the stock coupler with the firmer bushings in back.

Question, could this be a bushing issue? Can the shifting mechanism become intermittently out of alignment like that? Could it be something else I don't know about? Really of course hoping to avoid going inside, but if it sounds for sure like a busted syncro I want to get it off the road ASAP so I don't do more damage.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Sounds like something broke.. I would check that coupler and the linkage in the tunnel . Take you shifter out if required.

Something has changed.. Also check to see if all your motor mounts are okay and the engine has not shifted or dropped. I once had an issue similar to yours . I actually found 3 of the 4 bolts holding the engine to the cross frame that holds the motor mounts and fallen out.. gulp !!!!

Last edited by theiceman; 06-05-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 AM
obscene
Intermediate

almost sounds like the coupler has loosen up and the shift rod is skipping teeth as you move the lever towards 3rd/5th
Old 06-05-2014, 05:05 PM
thesauce
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Turns out some transmission oil had seeped into the coupler boot and even though it was only a year old one of the bushings had blown apart. $8 fix with some new plastic bushings, tragedy averted. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Glad it was squared away quickly

Quick Reply: 915 Third Gear Moving???