Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

exhaust smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 PM
737Aviator
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust smoke

I have not had my 1980 911sc out of the garage most of the winter. Shortly after I started it, I had enough blue gray smoke come from the exhaust to fog the whole naborhood. I shut the car off and let it set for awhile and again started it. Less smoke came out this time but still more than normal. I did a short look online and saw several posts from others stating similar situations with a long time between starts. They said run them for awhile on the highway and it usually stops. This I did and was satisfied that the smoke had subsided but at a stop light near home again a massive amount of smoke. As I excellerated from the light the smoke stop and did not reappear on the short drive home. Oil level was normal, millage 119k. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Not unusual. Flat 6 right, a valve cracked open when sitting...oil and gravity. Drive it at night til all of the oil is spent.
Drive it til hot. Then drive it some more.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:54 AM
oneblueyedog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They all do it. It was explained to me by a top P mech that the pressure from the piston squirters still bleed off pressured oil once you stop the engine. It pools on the back of the pistons. Over time it seeps past the rings. Sometimes the ring gaps are all facing down. Hundreds of threads on this. It's the puff.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by oneblueyedog
They all do it. It was explained to me by a top P mech that the pressure from the piston squirters still bleed off pressured oil once you stop the engine. It pools on the back of the pistons. Over time it seeps past the rings. Sometimes the ring gaps are all facing down. Hundreds of threads on this. It's the puff.
Just to clarify " they all do it" is absolutely not true. I agree that it is not entirely abnormal as Reiver points out. I belong to a group of about 5 Air cooled cars from 77- 83 and we all takes runs together often. There is only one that does this . ( he has a 78 with a 3.2 in it ) We like to make him go to the back as the rest of us have targas and it stinks

Also he out accelerates all of us if we put him at the front he would be GONE !

Quick Reply: exhaust smoke