Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil leak top drivers side of engine???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 04:48 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak top drivers side of engine???

I have a slight oil leak that gets worse when engine is nice and hot which I guess isn't uncommon.

It seems to be coming from the 'top' of the engine, above the 'tray' that separates the upper engine compartment from the road. The oil actually stands in the tray some. I can't see the valvecover leak. I think there might be an oil line or other source?

Any common leakers up there to the left of the engine, maybe towards the back? Please let me know what's common, so I can search the most likely location first. I have the stock chain tensioners.

George
Old 08-04-2003, 06:15 PM
upallnight
Intermediate

Check some of those oil lines that feeds the cams and if you have them the carrera tensioners.

Toward the back of the engine is the oil pressure sending unit for the idiot light, the breather for the crankcase and the internal thermostat for the oil system. The idiot light is a known leaker. Under $10.00, but unless you have weber carbs it a pain in the A$$ to get to if you still have the CIS system.

You can remove the airbox or drop the engine partially.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:16 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Heh, if it is the cam feeding lines, that will be the PERFECT point in time to install the chain tensioner upgrade!

Cheers, George

Quick Reply: oil leak top drivers side of engine???