Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

best model year for backdating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:16 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
And you've never ridden with me. Wish I had a torsion bar car clip, but I guess this is better than nothing: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AX8cvAsAk3I
Great video. What are you driving in this clip? Other than the poor GT3 driver crazy because he can't escape...
Old 05-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Great video. What are you driving in this clip? Other than the poor GT3 driver crazy because he can't escape...
That is Ruby. She was an '84 Targa with a 3.4L twin plug that Ken Purchased from Ed Hughes. All the guts and glory of that car were donated to ken's RS project and the shell was donated to me to put back on the road. She is currently waiting for the next infusion of cash. .....unfortunately, my mother in law passed away and I'm left footing the bill. Had to do things in the last week I didn't want to do.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 PM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer the original poster on cost, the sky is the limit and it's all in what level of finish you want.

I looked at a backdate a couple weeks ago that was one of the coolest cars I've seen. It was speculated that they'll have $100k+ in it.

It looked every penny (300+ hp carb motor build too).
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
man you can really wheel that thing around! Nice driving!
Tires. All comes down to tires. Dead rear RA1s, and about 5 seconds off pace. So there's where all the nervousness comes from. Was a session I didn't expect, but it makes for entertaining video. (Best of all time would have been when I was chasing around an ex-Andretti Lotus 77 in the Radical--the chassis the year before the ground effects world beater he won the World Championship with. THAT was 15 minutes of my inner James Hunt emerging with visions of Monaco, hell even Long Beach, as a distraction......)

Originally Posted by nzskater
It's a '95 993 built by Steve Weiner to RS (and beyond) specs. Best of everything, cost nearly no object build for a friend. Then he decided he wanted to go racing, and converted his Miata to a Spec Miata. Yet another of those $100K+ cars that trickles down into the resale market for 1/3 of cost-to-build.

Originally Posted by amber lamps
That is Ruby. She was an '84 Targa with a 3.4L twin plug that Ken Purchased from Ed Hughes. All the guts and glory of that car were donated to ken's RS project and the shell was donated to me to put back on the road. She is currently waiting for the next infusion of cash. .....unfortunately, my mother in law passed away and I'm left footing the bill. Had to do things in the last week I didn't want to do.
Again, that's clip two at Arizona Motorsports Park v. that lowly solid axle 5.0 Mustang. First time there, years since I'd driven a torsion bar 911, and that was after about 15 laps from my initial recon of even where the track went. Oh, not-so-hot tires. I was about 8 sec/lap off what that 911 you saw shooting off into T1 was doing. His is what might loosely be called a Spec 911, but he was on Hoosiers (probably 3 seconds alone on that track) and likely 100+ lbs. light from Spec 911 weight. Not sure if that was still a torsion bar car.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

IMO... 86 is the best year for a backdate, the best compromise of both older and later 911. It retains the old character of the old classic but a spring board to the newer 87-89 upgrades.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:56 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a good look at my car's G-50 T-bar drop outs. Not nearly as cool looking at the 915 tranny cars.

Quick Reply: best model year for backdating?