Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do I need to re align after installing sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:59 PM
dgrollo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to re align after installing sway bar bushings

I installed new sway bar bushings - all 4 - on a 84 911 - afterwards I noticed the right front was higher by about 1.5 inches than the left - measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip centered over middle of the tire. I adjusted the sway bar bolt but still off by approx quarter inch and still pulls to left. Do I need to get a front end alined or any suggestions.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

sounds like the sway bars are pre-loaded somwhere... check your installation or your sway bar may be bent. Might even be a problem somewhere else. You should not need an alignment for just sway bar bushing replacement.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 AM
dgrollo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For others who undertake this repair - I have read up on the problem and when the adjustable end caps are put back onto the torsion bars you need to install these caps at their topmost position then with the adjusting screw lower the front of the car evenly and to the correct height. Better yet don't do like me and take the end caps off unless you are replacing the torsion bars. I will work on the car this weekend and get back - thanks for your reply.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,106 Likes on 791 Posts

i dont understand .. As mentioned by redridge this should not be an issue .. I didnt even touch anything to do with end caps or torion bars ...drop brackets , install sway bar bushings, install brackets.. done .. or maybe i am missing something completely. ?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The right front tbar will need to be reindexed at a minimum, and both at most. Unless you messed with tie rods you are just looking at a ride height issues.

Hopefully you didn't pull both caps.

Pull the right front tbar cap and rotate it counter clockwise by one spline. You may need a jack under each control arm to make adjustments.

You are stuck reindexing until the car is level without preloading on the sway bar.

Next time use a ratcheting tie down to compress the sway bar and avoid this mess entirely.

Quick Reply: Do I need to re align after installing sway bar bushings