Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

78 SC restore start

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:15 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 SC restore start

Hi I am posting this for a buddy with a 1978 white SC. Car ran a few years ago. Has been sitting in a garage. In order of priority besides fluids and brakes, what are the essential first steps, then moving on to trans rebuild, clutch, motor etc. We live in Tampa, so dropping the engine and trans and shipping it to be rebuild or bring it to local engine/trans rebuild shop no problem. I dont know air cooled so no clue. He doesnt care about A/C (delete it?) but would prob want heat. Problem areas to be addressed? Head bolts? Valves? internal engine upgrades? Oil cooling and alternator/electrical upgrades? Will tackle suspension last or if pieces are dropped for other things put in stiffer sways, bushings, etc.Trans synchros? Clutch cables? Mounts?He probably will not track the car but once or twice. autocross maybe. Pretty conservative person. Teenage son that wants to drive the car. Very little rust, needs new carpet and upholstry (last thing). Speedo cable and guages? Initially prob a $5k budget. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

5k is about the price of a top end rebuild if you don't do it yourself. He should at least double or triple his budget if you want to do what you described.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:49 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Ok thanks mussberger. Car may not be worth that. Dont know.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There are a few good shops in Tampa... so you should be fine with a local contact. I suggest attending the Porsche Club meetings to find out who is who.

Do the basics first: Oil, all filters, plugs, check compression, etc.) See how it runs. Oil smoke after sitting for so long will be normal for our cars so do not panic if you see that the first time it is started.

After than then you can make a list of areas to work on and define a priority. 5K is not a lot to do everything you have listed... just fyi. But if the engine and transmission are sound after you test it, then use that budget for the other areas needing attention.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Jaimie thanks man. I am going to Sebring May 10th so I plan on talking to some of the aircooled owners. My buddy is pretty frugal, so I threw out $5K so as not to scare him, realizing $10 is more realistic. I rebuilt/customized watercooled show car VW's in the late 80's and 90's so hopefully I can help guide him some. Thanks again everyone I appreciate the advise as always!

Quick Reply: 78 SC restore start