Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I lost my A/C!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Beethoven
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I lost my A/C!

...not literally, of course, but since two days all that comes out of the vents is mildly cool air, not the refrigerated polar ice storm that I'm used to. The A/C was converted a few years back, and the previous owner assures me that it always worked fine. What my be the cause for this sudden loss of cooling power? True, it's quite hot here at the moment; and a few days back I tested out the heating (which works fine), but I think I've put all the levers back into neutral positions. Curiously, my Merc developed the very same symptoms at the same time. Ghosts in the garage??
I'd be grateful for any advice.

Also: what's the best Porsche shop in Chicago??

Best,
Beethoven

'88 911 Coupe
Old 08-01-2003, 05:35 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Likely you have a loss of freon. Your system has a leak. You can check the freon level on the bulls eye close to the dryer, in the pass. side rear wheelwell to get an idea. Dempsey has 2 pages in his 100 projects for your 911 book about a/c, you may want to read those to get an idea on what you can do.

Just bite the bullet and have it serviced, unless you want to get into fixing a/c yourself.

I'd be curious to know how your conversion was done, I hear the 911 has marginal a/c with R12 and can't imagine how it does on 134?

Cheers, George
Old 08-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Beethoven
Intermediate

Thanks, George, I'll check that tomorrow.
I just looked at the service record and saw that about 2k ago the A/C couldn't be recharged due to a bad expansion valve and condensor. It was then taken to a different shop where the blower motor and the dryer bottle were replaced and the system recharged. When I picked up the car a month ago it was ice blowing ice cold air.

Beethoven
'88 911 Coupe
Old 08-02-2003, 03:09 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Beethoven:

I hate to say it, but sometimes A/C systems get fixed cheaply and charged so the car can be sold with working A/C. Just bite the bullet and have it overhauled by a reputable shop. Often they pull just about the whole system and replace it to make sure you will be good for several years down the line.

Good Luck!

George
Old 08-04-2003, 11:16 AM
upallnight
Intermediate

Beethoven

Did you have the a/c on, the engine running and the engine hood up? If you did you lost your freon because the rear condensor was not getting any air flow so the high side of the a/c system pressure increase to the point that a hose, condensor or perhaps the compressor blew.

Too bad the system was converted to 134a. I live in Chi-town also and work on my a/c but my equipment is only for R12.

Quick Reply: I lost my A/C!