Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

WEVO short shift kit or Factory OEM short shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Etster88
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WEVO short shift kit or Factory OEM short shift kit

In putting my car together (915 5 speed trans on a 1977 3.0 engine (930/02)), could i please ask if anyone has any comments on which short shift kit to consider, if any. My experience with driving some cars with the 915 transmission is that the lever can be very 'sloppy' and not very precise. This may have more to do with the condition of the cars i drove, but none the less, i would like to investigate the short shift option)

I have seen very good reviews on the WEVO product, but would always tend to go with the OEM if possible. My view would be that the modern WEVO kit would possibly be a better option, certainly more expensive, simply because of the modern tooling and material available to make the product even better?
Any comments would be very welcome, thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:50 AM
s4hounddog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also considering a wevo shifter for my '84 Carrera coupe. Before you install a new "short shifter", I suggest that you first inspect and replace any worn bushings in the shifter and rod mechanism, also check the coupling. I replaced it with a new WEVO shifter coupling and replaced all the bushings - Although the factory shifter still has the long throw, the new parts tightened up the feel and improved finding the right gear. Buying a new WEVO shifter is no longer on the top of my priority list.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:55 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a WEVO shifter in my '83 SC (my track toy) I'm very happy with the shifter but I would agree on replacing all bushings while doing the upgrade. Additionally I ordered the WEVO extended shift **** which allows a more natural transition form the steering wheel to the shift lever and back.

I was cautioned not to get the WEVO shift gate which is mounted in the transmission itself
Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put on a Seine shifter with a Stomski coupler and new bushings, throw is a bit long but really nice. This is on a 77 S with a 3.0 in it.

Quick Reply: WEVO short shift kit or Factory OEM short shift kit