Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

86 targa price check

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:17 PM
mumzer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 targa price check

I am about to list a car for sale (autotrader) and need a price check..adcice on where to sell would also be useful...

Its a mechanically sound 1 owner car (my mom's) white with tan partial leather. Little old lady driver who probably never got the thing over 5k rpm, but also parked it outside with the top off periodically. Its a good news bad news deal...

The bad news :

Sseats are kinda dingy and could some dye. Dark brown dash has fine cracks.

Targa top has two small repairs but seals well.

A few small dings and chips here and there.

The good news:

Freshly serviced
new 02 sensor
new brakes with EBS pads/new OEM rotors
new braided brake lines
new air and fuel filters
new hood shocks
new wevo PSJ.

Dunlop SP 8000 tires with less than 5k on them.

Black Fuchs (16's) are straight and have perfect lips, (some fading)

New panasonic CD player with Polk door, balupunkt deck speakers.

Car runs very strong, and uses no oil.
All oil leaks have been recently repaired.

In last 20K miles car has had new clutch, new alternator and a tranny reseal as well.

I was thinking 14k - which seems very reasonable based on latest Bruce Anderson numbers, but have had nary a nibble....any advice on how to sell it would be appreciated. I was actually thinking the local papers...my guess is the targa has less enthusiast appeal than a coupe.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:58 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Plug it in private party value at KBB. That should be a reality check. I think that the specialty lists (e.g. anderson) are most the times not street prices.

It is true that the Targa generally fetches less.

What also matters a lot is the color combo. Brown interior may be bearable but what's the outside? If it is brown, gold, 80s green or any of that sort, the car will be worth considerably less than a black, silver, white or red one.

What is the mileage? That's the most important question.

I think 12k should move it quickly even with a bit higher mileage and browns in the color department. Advertising with 14k and having some room to negotiate might just be the key!

Good luck, George
Old 08-01-2003, 02:14 PM
mumzer
Racer

oops...sorry....its white...and the mileage is only 88K
Old 08-01-2003, 05:38 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

White is a plus, so is the mileage. I'd try 14k with room to drop it some if you have a serious buyer at hand.

Cheers, George
Old 08-01-2003, 05:42 PM
uli953
Advanced

1 owner , 88 k miles , C1 targa , 86 with G50 = 20+ tsd Euro = 20+ tsd$
(soory, in Germany....)

By the way: targas are more expensive than coupés (sorry, in Germany...)
Old 08-01-2003, 05:52 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Uli:

I thougth that the targa would be more expensive also until I checked price lists. Generally, in the US, if it comes to classic american cars, convertibles and T tops are more expensive.

Main reason for the 911 coupe being more expensive is the fact that many people look for these cars to take them racing. Mainly because they have become affordable for the weekend racing enthusiast to buy now. You can go time trialing with a 15k car the practically the day you bought it. There are not many production cars in that price class where you dont' have to do some heavy mods to get them there.

There isn't as much stability in a targa chassis as there is in a coupe. The other reason why targas are less desirable here is the fact that there is wind noises and leaks to deal with.

I think the fact that the targa is more desireable in Germany has to do with the convertible craze over there. It is quite irritating to me that there are more ragtops in Germany than there seem to be in California. I guess you have to get the max out of those 3 sunny days. ;-)

Cheers, George
Old 08-01-2003, 07:24 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

$14k doesn't sound too bad - Do a zip code search in Autotrader.com for your model year (87-89) within a 200 mile radius. To sell it you need to be in the bottom 1/3rd - to keep it - stay in the top 1/3rd (where I imagine you are). I would also list in cars.com, carbuyer.com, yahoo.com etc. Set up a website with some big high quality digital pictures with all these sites referring to it. Not a great market to sell a Porsche = sorry

Quick Reply: 86 targa price check