Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First Drive and a Wash with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow!!! Congratulations. So glad you did go ahead with the purchase. That car looks great! A few small projects ahead, but that is a very fine specimen to start from. Wow! Just a beautiful car.

Keep us posted as you bring her back to perfection.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I've been driving her on and off all weekend. Finally took the Targa Top off on Friday and wow it just adds to the experience. Truly a great cruiser with a sporty edge to it. I think everyone who's gone for a ride is astounded by the transmission. It still boggles my mind that this type of transmission existed 45 years ago and how well it was executed. I'll try to post up a few new pics when I get the chance.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:27 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats Afshin... she really is a looker! That tranny is really way ahead of its time... to bad Porsche never pursued it more. I think people would prob prefer the sportamatic than a auto tranny of today.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Congrats Afshin... she really is a looker! That tranny is really way ahead of its time... to bad Porsche never pursued it more. I think people would prob prefer the sportamatic than a auto tranny of today.
Porsche has a winner with their dual clutch transmission of today... I drove a 991 at the local dealer and it was the first time that I would consider something other than a manual for my car... That blip when downshifting was intoxicating to listen to...
Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Thanks!

The tranny is definitely way ahead of its time. Having driven manuals, automatics and an SMG I can say this is the closest transmission to a manual that I have experienced. It is nearly as engaging as a full manual since you need to pay attention and shift but the clutch actuation is automatic. The only differences I see are the lack of third pedal which means your left foot doesn't do anything and it takes a gentle touch rather than giant effort to finesse her into gear. What would have been cool is if Porsche did away with the torque converter and instead left it as a manual that needed to go into neutral at a stop. That would make it as quick at a stop as a manual.

You really need to experience the transmission to understand.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Looking good! Contact the seller about access to the frunk area. Important vehicle systems are accessed thru there so entry is critical. There are probably some additional keys that the seller still has.

Quick Reply: First Drive and a Wash with Pics