NC Illinois GTG Aug 2nd/3rd

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 01:13 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up NC Illinois GTG Aug 2nd/3rd

If No one is busy this weekend and you want to do a little driving.

cross post from "watercoolers"..

.. Plan on meeting at Starved Rock State park at 10 am Saturday and Sunday. The "lower" entrance by the river access. There is a substantial amount of available parking.

Directions to the River access of Starved Rock SP.

I-39 southbound: South to I-80 east (exit #59). Go 2 miles to exit #81 (Rt. 178, Utica). Go south (right) 3 miles on Rt. 178 and follow the signs into the Park.

I-39 northbound: North to Exit #48 (Tonica exit). Go east (right) for approximately 5 miles to the T-intersection, which is Rt. 178. Go north (left) for approximately 5 miles and follow the signs into the Park.

I-80 Eastbound and Westbound: Get off at exit #81 (Rt.178, Utica). Go south 3 miles on Rt. 178 and follow the signs into the Park.

From the Chicago area: Take I-294 or I-355 south to I-55. Take I-55 south to I-80. Go west on I-80, 45 miles to Exit #81 (Rt. 178, Utica). Go south (left) 3 miles on Rt. 178 and follow the signs into the Park.

There are 2 entrances to the park, 1 off of RT 6 (Locals know this) and the entrance off of RT 178, where most of you will enter.

Regarding the 2nd entrance.. The first left after entering the park will bring you into the lower section parking, near the boat docks. The visitors center is also located there.
If you get to the "Lodge" you are in the right park, wrong place- exit the lodge and hotel, bear right and you will pass the visitor's center and take a right you will enter into the parking area.
I will be setting up a temporary meeting place at the far west end of the parking area at about 10 am. This will be a good place to meet and greet, and hang out for an hour or so and wait for others to arrive. The driving park tour should begin about 11:30 and conclude about 12:30 or so, depending on how many of us there are, and how many photo ops along the way we plan. These are public roads- expect traffic (and tourists looking out the car windows instead of the road). There will be many photo ops along the way, so stops are OK, and there will be fuel available on this route as well. After that excursion I expect to be grillin and chillin.

There is no set timetable- just a frienldy get together. There is a lot of opportunity to take pics- I will have my digital camera there. I would suggest bringing a folding chair, 2-way radios, a dish to pass if you want to, picnic stuff if you like.

I will supply chicken/ ribs for BBQ and a healthy portion of beverages. (if you know me you know what I mean..Diet Coke and Miller products! LOL) We'll decide on changes depending on a consensus vote both mornings.

Quick Reply: NC Illinois GTG Aug 2nd/3rd