Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Smoke and Oil on startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Faircatch
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke and Oil on startup

Yesterday, I started up my 73 2.4 for the first time in almost 2yrs. After the required prep it started up generating a humungous amount of smoke and blowing out the exhaust what looked to be a third of a quart of oil on the garage floor. I can remember it always had some smoke on start up particularly when it sat around a while but nothing like this. The engine has about 68K original miles. It ran strong but is this some fatal malaise or the standard reaction of a crotchety old engine ticked-off about sitting idle for so long? Thanks for your comments.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

you actually had third of a quart of oil on the floor ? and it wasnt water vapour mixed with soot or anything like that ? and it came out the exhaust pipe ?

Sounds very bad if all that is true.

if oil is pouring out of the exhaist like that it is allmost impossible to believe it runs strong . You didnt over fill the oil by filling it up cold or anything did you ?

you are not a new owner so i would think you would know how to add and check oil.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:54 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Semi normal id say. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...t-exhaust.html
Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

My car sat for a couple of years.... smoked on start up like crazy, but never puked oil. I would keep an eye on oil consumption and see if it is within spec...
Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Faircatch
4th Gear

I'm sure it wasn't water vapor. I had to get absorbent materials and work to get it up. It's hard to be precise on the amount of oil but it was significant. The car is in a large storage facility about 50' x 50' and fortunately there are only a few cars in it and no other people at the time but the smoke was enough to fill the entire area and cause us to leave until we could get enough ventilation to clear it. Scary
Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After sitting, it's normal to have a lot more smoke than usual at startup. If you have a huge oil leak(s) then you'll have to clean the motor so that you can find fresh oil and fix the leaks.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Faircatch
4th Gear

I
Thanks for the reply. the web site you gave me was informative and encouraging.

Quick Reply: Smoke and Oil on startup