Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heat Exchanger Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Heat Exchanger Dilemma

My 85 Carrera was leaking and wisping oil for years before I did this engine out service to reseal. (Actually, by old school master tech at dealer; I'm just the clean up boy and financier!)

My heater just reeked of oil smell, which I know is partly characteristic but this was overpowering and I wanted to return to baseline. So with the engine out and on a stand, do I:

1. Have the exchangers removed, tanked?
2. Attempt to clean where is, hope it'll burn off, since getting them off is turning out to be pain and a half?

Just looking for experience and sanity here, as I'm off in the deep-end with the project as it is. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:34 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

The best option is to get them off and degrease and remove as much oil as physically
possible even use brake clean because some ares could be baked on at this point .
Short of that should you be unable to get them removed clean and degrease exterior and
hope any residue that's permeated the interior will mostly burn away...Bert
Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by budge96
The best option is to get them off and degrease and remove as much oil as physically
possible even use brake clean because some ares could be baked on at this point .
Short of that should you be unable to get them removed clean and degrease exterior and
hope any residue that's permeated the interior will mostly burn away...Bert
Thanks so much for the input. I needed a tie-breaker on this one. The 'while you're in there' method is costly, but complete.

Quick Reply: Heat Exchanger Dilemma