Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

dogleg transmissions reversable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Conza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dogleg transmissions reversable?

As most of us know, between 1964-1971 911s had a dogleg transmission (reverse is left+up, 1st is left+down). Is it possible to swap all the gears around to make it standard?

There are plenty of gearbox diagrams with all of the gears like this one. I tried to convert it to what I believe a dogleg would look like (so the original could be a possible rearrangement).

From this

To this (original image of standard gearbox)

My interpretation of the image is that each purple cog is a line on the pattern, so the dogleg has R-1, 2-3, 4-5 and the original has 1-2, 3-4, 5-R, just like the gear stick.

EDIT: Upon submitting this thread I realise that the cases would be shaped to fit the cogs in their original order, clearly R could move to 5's spot, ect, but once you started moving big cogs into little cog spaces, even 1 to R, you'd have space issues. I guess this is the point people take out the box altogether and just use a G50...

EDIT 2: Unless you kept the box the same but added a 2nd R gear to the back where 5 is, and then re-linked all of the selectors, or maybe that's insanity.

Last edited by Conza; 04-03-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: dogleg transmissions reversable?