Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Should i get another one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:30 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i get another one?

Just bought a Carrera a few months ago. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=50092

Now, the other day I accidentally came across an 87 Targa with 140k miles. I swear it was just an accident!

Interior is rough. Seats are decent but rips and tears here and there elsewhere. Old horrible stereo install with loose extra speakers.

Engine is not touched or at least has not been rebuilt. Some white smoke on startup but it had been sitting for a while. Ran smooth and even.

Exterior is so-so. Evidence of at least a partial respray. Rubber seals are old and dried out. Looks worn but could look decent with some clean up. Will never be nice or anywhere close to concourse material.

If, just hypothetically speaking of course.... I were to buy a car like this, what would be a fair price? Was thinking a fun project car to hot rod over time. Maybe convert to a long hood when I win the startup lottery?

What say you?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:21 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently, a used car dealer in my neighborhood had a very tired red Targa with a fake slant nose modification and was asking $21k. Based on this vehicle and what you describe, price is not the issue; it is what your repair budget will allow, how much work you do yourself, how long you keep the car, and what you think you would get at the end of the day when you decide to sell it. Might find yourself in the hole……..
Old 03-25-2014, 01:38 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Find one that was well cared for with records and pay a fair price. Then go from there.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Agree with both of you. Already got a really nice one with records back to new and only one previous owner.

This one would be just for fun. Not intended to go to crazy on restoration. I can fix up the interior bits myself. The big ticket item is an engine refresh at some point in the future.

If I can pick it up for about $12-$15K it seems to even make financial sense given the pricing level for Carrera's these days.

I know, crazy idea and who needs two 911's....
Old 03-25-2014, 03:33 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

I bought a 1987 black targa 6 months ago , it was also rough and needed some love , I paid $13k and it was well worth it here's before and after, just make sure you know how much you can do yourself to the car , if you are not a guy that are going to do DYI's than buy one that's ready to enjoy, but there's a lots of fun doing it yourself

Last edited by Opo; 07-03-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:36 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

86 not 87 sorry
117k miles
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the first one well under control and can do the work yourself, I say go for it. .....well, as long as you understand it isn't the best investment you could make.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking

Why in the world would you do that... stick with one... I can't understand folks that just keep buying these old junkers to recondition... it makes no financial sense!!

oh wait.....
Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

agreed, make sure that you know what you're getting into... its cheaper to get a nice example than to refresh a Targa... just the seals alone can cost you a @2k. But, if you want a project, learn and enjoy.... join the club!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:15 PM
oscarfors
Rennlist Member

Hey Matt,

I agree with Amber and Wachuko both. Go for it and it makes no sense.

As a comment on Opo's post: if you can get anything 911 in the SF Bay Area for 13k, please send it my way. It would not suprise me to see that car (in non-restored condition) for sale for 23k...

Matt; consider the big ticket items (DIY):
Suspension (will definitely have to be done): Shocks, bushings, joints, may be torsion bars... ~4k
Exterior (to your taste and preference): Rubber mouldings, weather strips, bondo :-)...~2k
Engine refresh/service (provided no re-build or real issues): Distributor/rotor, Sparkplugs, Oil/gas filters, gaskets, belts... ~2k

Used dashboard: ~$700... H4 lights ~$500... Steeringwheel ~$400...

But since your current car doesn't really need anything (I have rarely seen such a nice specimen), this may be exactly what would scratch the itch.

I wouldn't see it as an investment (even though it may even out at the end) but rather compare it to what people say when they go to Vegas; I know i'm not going to win, but I enjoy the process of loosing money through gambling. I wouldn't know since I don't like going to Vegas, but I do enjoy spending money on my Porsches :-)

Oh, and add ~1k for extra tools. You can never have enough tools.

/O
Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarfors
Hey Matt,

I agree with Amber and Wachuko both. Go for it and it makes no sense.

Oh, and add ~1k for extra tools. You can never have enough tools.

/O
Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO, this is a trap-car... the proverbial foot on the boat and foot on the dock... just good enough not to be a junker... just bad enough to need everything!

Financially speaking, "hot-rods" typically retail for 30-40% of build cost
At $13K, you could easily put $20K in this car and end up with a $17K car. Maybe, just throw $5K at the seller and if he turns you down, walk away without regret.

That said, I have no problem with a Carrara hot-rod project... these can be very cool. If you make it a hobby, and plan to keep it for the long run, it can be fun. It really depends on your personal finances.

Just go in with your eyes opened and a realistic budget... it won't be cheap.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Opo
I bought a 1987 black targa 6 months ago , it was also rough and needed some love , I paid $13k and it was well worth it here's before and after, just make sure you know how much you can do yourself to the car , if you are not a guy that are going to do DYI's than buy one that's ready to enjoy, but there's a lots of fun doing it yourself
Your before pictures look nice!! The one I'm looking at definitely needs a lot more TLC...
Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

I agree with all of you....it's not sensible at all...but I'm really tempted to go for it. As long as the engine and transmission is not a disaster I think I can do a lot of the cosmetical stuff and I'll lean heavily on you Oscar for Porsche wrenching weekends. ;-)

It has a new cat, rear bushings have been replaced recently , engine bay looks clean, no cracks in the dash board and no oil drips on the ground. I'll go take it for a test drive today again and see how it feels.

I agree with you Oscar, if I can pick it up to $13K I'll be all over it. I'm sure I can clean it up and flip it for more than that here in the Bay Area.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Sold just an hour before I could get out of the office.

The hunt continues?

Quick Reply: Should i get another one?