Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Well I'll just switch out this tensioner and wait what the heck is that...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Well I'll just switch out this tensioner and wait what the heck is that...

So I have an '82 SC (yeah I lurk some and don't post, don't hate me!) and I was replacing the original chain tensioners with the carrera tensioners. Or at least I thought I was replacing the original tensioners until I found this:

Name:  dOnMaSbl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  50.2 KB

What in the heck is this thing? It looks vaguely original-ish but says HP and Patent Pending. I've tried looking all over for what this might be but I haven't found a thing. Nothing showing in the records either, though I don't have records from the first owner (I am the fourth).

I'm going to proceed as normal with the replacement, I just thought someone might get a kick out of this.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Early Asian aftermarket.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wasn't that the tensioner that had an internal ratcheting mechanism, thus preventing collapse? I vaguely remember installing a few sets in the early '80s. But then the pressure fed setup with MY '84 in the 3.2s obsoleted that. Remember them being expensive.

Maybe someone has an old, old, old Automotion or Performance Products catalog. Or an old Panorama that would have an ad.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Welp, can't compress the stinking thing and I have zero idea how to proceed. Hrm...

I have a feeling a slide hammer jammed behind it might do the trick but that just sounds like a great way to break something (including maybe my head!)

Edit: well nevermind vise grips and a tug took care of it. Whew.

Edit the Second: And race911 looks like you get a prize! Looks like the old tensioners had some sort of ratchet. They have about 3/8" of spring-loading but will not compress any further than that, even from full extension.

Last edited by Dave Inc.; 03-20-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Oh, and I did make a rather lousy discovery as I was pulling the chain ramps. That little piece of plastic that's supposed to clamp down over the slot in the retaining pin?

Broken. Each and every one had one broken clip. Those broken clips are now...somewhere...in the pan. Is this a pretty typical thing to see or what?

Oh, and there's also about a 1/16" gap between the new tensioners and the sprocket idler arm on the post. I've seen that these should line up flush but I can wiggle the arm to and fro on the post, but not near enough that I'd need the spacer for a pre-'80s motor.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Follow-up for future searchers:

The old chain tensioners were ratcheting types developed by Herb Hoeptner, and the free-play between the tensioner and the sprocket arm is normal--the chain defines the sprocket's position, not the other way around.

Credit goes to Mayo Performance in Dallas for the info. I didn't even send a picture of the old tensioner to him and he knew the full name of the guy who built them, that's intense!

Quick Reply: Well I'll just switch out this tensioner and wait what the heck is that...