Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

83 911 fan blades not turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:27 PM
anniqu
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 911 fan blades not turning

I took out the fan housing to replace the voltage regulator. As I was almost finished mounting the fan housing be into the engine I noticed that the blades are not moving at all. They are completely stuck and will not budge in the housing. What did I do ???
Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How much force did you put on the fan trying to get it off the alternator when you were disassembling everything? Maybe you bent the fan. Maybe you just didn't get the fan reinstalled onto the alternator shaft correctly and simply loosening it and repositioning it correctly will correct the problem (doubtful). Check for clearance between the fan and the housing all the way around. It should be dead center.

Otherwise you may have used screws on the voltage regulator that were too long and you are binding up in the back of the alternator on the windings. I'm sure Loren will be along any minute to tell us all that I'm full of crap.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 PM
anniqu
Track Day

Default re fan blades not turning

The screws were the problem . I had not noticed , the depth of the mounting hole on new regulator was much smaller than the old one. The new one is about 3/8" shorter. Will get some spacers. Another problem I was having was in mounting the fan housing back intothe engine. The housing is touching the pulley , there is no clearance. I pulled out the housing a bit and I see that there is a "stop" on the engine block which does not allow the housing to move back any further. It feels like the housing is seated correctly , but it is touching the pulley.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you forget a shim behind the pulley?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 PM
anniqu
Track Day

Default re Fan housing touching pulley

I did not take off the pulley to remove the fan housing.

Quick Reply: 83 911 fan blades not turning