Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New guy here with a RS carpet Q.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:09 PM
AG Nashville
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here with a RS carpet Q.

Hello all. I have been a lurker here for quite some time and decided to join the party. I am assembling a Carrera 3.2 coupe for a client and one of my picks for the upgrade/refresh is the RS carpet. I know everyone has asked what foam to use to no clear avail. Most of the posters seemed to have experienced wet carpet, window leakage and generally defunct, and gross, sound deadening materials. This car has never been wet inside. I want this car to be an R Gruppe style/theme but not at the sacrifice of the owner being able to enjoy it comfortably. It will be getting a total rebuild, ROW pistons and cylinders and Stainless exhaust and heat exchangers.
My question is this. Can I leave the factory pads in and place the AppBiz carpet over them? Will they cause the carpet to be short? Seems like I am way ahead of the game in regard to making the floor appear flat to get the desired finished effect.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There really isn't any factory pad to speak of other than the carpet. My Cabrio does have an extra molded foam insert in the back, but nowhere else.

I used a felt underlay from Pep Boys under my entire carpet. Sprayed out Super 77 and laid it all down prior to starting the AppBiz RS Perlon felt. All went in easy and you'd never know there was extra padding under the carpet. There some areas under the driver's feet that had some tar-based hexacomb shaped sound pad that acts somewhat like the aluminum backed stuff you see around.

All in all Bob makes a fantastic product.

Quick Reply: New guy here with a RS carpet Q.