Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Electric Seat Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Joehaia
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Seat Removal

My 1978, 911SC currently has electric seats that I installed some time back and they worked well for many years. However, the drivers seat appears to be stuck in the full "back" position.

I've attempted to use the manual crank override, but it too is inoperable/broken and I'm stuck? I have exhausted all avenues and have no ideas how to remove the seat from the track, so that I can repair the problem, without damaging the track or seat...

Any and all recommendations are appreciated,

Regards, Joe
Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What about a long, ball tipped, Allen socket?

I have several sets like this:

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-8-pc...p-00992486000P
Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 6 Allen head bolts holding the seat to the rail mounting area (one on each seat in the front and two on the rear). Remove them and the seat will come out. The seat may be heavy due to the motors in the seat. Also, tilt the seat to one side so you can remove the wire from the seat. Many time there is a tie strap securing the wire to the seat.

When I had that problem, I found the previous owner had run the seat all the way back and it wouldn't return. I used a long (18") screw drive to back the worm gear up and it worked well. If that doesn't work for you, maybe it is the switch. Note: there is a rubber stop on the end of the screw drive that may be missing. There's one on the front and one on the rear of the drive. They disintegrate over time. It is intended to keep the drive from bottoming out in the seat. To replace it you may have to dismantle the seat. I didn't have to. I made a rubber bumper out of a piece of rubber tubing and cut it on a 45 degree and put it around the screw drive where it was bottoming out. I used gorilla glue to secure and let it set for a couple of days to really harden up. So far it has lasted 13 years and the seats work very well.

Spider911
Old 02-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Salty Springs
Track Day

Spray your seat control button with some electronic contact cleaner.Keep tapping the button it will(hopefully)start to work.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:23 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

when you push the button do you hear the motor trying to turn? Maybe you have a problem with the pushbutton instead of the motor.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
when you push the button do you hear the motor trying to turn? Maybe you have a problem with the pushbutton instead of the motor.
That is where I am at. My forward/backward switch only works one of the two ways.

Anyway to enlist a loaner switch from a friend before you shell out money for a switch or start disassembling the seat?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is indeed a bum switch, there may be some alternatives.
If you can somehow reverse the polarity of the power for that seat, backwards should become forwards. I'm not sure if the negative is carried through the chassis for the seats, or if it is in the wire harness. A wiring diagram should help if you have access to one.
You may also be able to bypass the forward contacts of the switch manually if you can get at the wires.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Billm
Advanced

Try pulling the switch and override the switch with a wire. Worked for me when the seat was too low and would not raise. Set to position and I have left it there since. Will one day replace the switch which I now know is the problem

Quick Reply: Electric Seat Removal