Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

G50 with bad 3-4 shift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default G50 with bad 3-4 shift?

Looking at an '88 911. During the test ride, the owner shifted from 3rd to 4th under moderate acceleration and the gearbox bit back. He mentioned that on occasion, the 3-4 shift can be balky. Doesn't happen all the time, but just the fact that it DOES happen here and there is a bit worrying.
Am I looking at a bad syncro? How big of a red flag is this, potentially? I'd hate to purchase this car at a fair price only to find out a short time late that a tranny rebuild is staring me in the face. Car has 132K miles, and I have no history on the tranny.

TIA!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be fluids, but I'd bank on a tranny refresh.

If the rest of the car is right, and a decent price can be negotiated, why not.

This also opens doors for all kinds of good modifications!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:01 PM
mbintx
Instructor

That's not a cheap unplanned fix...
Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mbintx
That's not a cheap unplanned fix...
Nossir, its sure not, but what on a 911 IS inexpensive?

These are VERY good cars and one should be prepared to fix things on a 26 year old car. I don't what that is in dog years, but this does happen and shouldn't discourage anyone from buying a good example, provided they are realistic about ownership costs.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Nossir, its sure not, but what on a 911 IS inexpensive?

These are VERY good cars and one should be prepared to fix things on a 26 year old car. I don't what that is in dog years, but this does happen and shouldn't discourage anyone from buying a good example, provided they are realistic about ownership costs.
Fully agree. It seems buying a 911 "right" is a dark science. Most owners won't discount their asking price based on potential issues, but the buyer needs to factor these issues into a fair offer price. A well-bought 911 can easily become a bad choice if a few expensive gremlins pop up right after the previous owner hands you the keys.

Full disclosure: this will be my first 911, so I'm a bit nervous about potential issues.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you like everything else about the car? Is the price right otherwise? Is it a couple grand below the market?

Buy it, drop the tranny, send it to steve, tell him to stop when he gets to $5,000.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:56 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Fully agree. It seems buying a 911 "right" is a dark science. Most owners won't discount their asking price based on potential issues, but the buyer needs to factor these issues into a fair offer price. A well-bought 911 can easily become a bad choice if a few expensive gremlins pop up right after the previous owner hands you the keys.

Full disclosure: this will be my first 911, so I'm a bit nervous about potential issues.
I can fully appreciate your point and this is precisely why a proper PPI is SOOO very important. If this is done by competent and experienced personnel, it protects you against unplanned expenses and unpleasant surprises.

I'd strongly recommend finding someone who can do a good PPI for you so you minimize your risk exposure.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Also get a quote on said repairs BEFORE purchasing car. From what i have read the G-50 is very expensive to fix/rebuild when comapring to 915 so be specific when getting quotes.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Pre-PPI test drive revealed that the 4th gear synchro is indeed bad. So it sounds like a tranny refresh at best, tranny rebuild at worst. Plus, it's the perfect time for a clutch job.

Waiting for seller to confirm potential costs ($3500-$6000?) before moving on to a full PPI.
Fun...
Old 01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by theiceman
Also get a quote on said repairs BEFORE purchasing car. From what i have read the G-50 is very expensive to fix/rebuild when comapring to 915 so be specific when getting quotes.
Things are pretty close to the same; 915 stuff isn't cheap any longer so the net costs are almost equal.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Pre-PPI test drive revealed that the 4th gear synchro is indeed bad. So it sounds like a tranny refresh at best, tranny rebuild at worst. Plus, it's the perfect time for a clutch job.

Waiting for seller to confirm potential costs ($3500-$6000?) before moving on to a full PPI.
Fun...
I'd budget $3K to $3500 for a transmission rebuild.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Like I always say Steve is our God!!!! Buy it, drop engine and trans, wrap the tranny in EPS foam a couple inches thick, drop it into an Igloo, wrap that in stretch wrap, ship it to Steve.

....or go easy on 4th. Simple.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:55 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd budget $3K to $3500 for a transmission rebuild.
Get the guy to knock this off the price, and then you have a new tranny.

PPI can indicate whether something is bad now, but not insure that you won't have a problem 6 months after you buy the car.

Mileage is no help either... a ham-fisted driver can destroy a gearbox, and trash a clutch in 50K miles.

A skillful driver can get 100k out of a clutch, and the tranny will outlast the car...

IMHO, buying the car at some discount and putting that money into a new clutch, rebuilt box, and all the other odds and ends such as drive-shafts, etc, etc is not a bad deal.

As was pointed out, these are still 26 year old cars... stuff wears out, deteriorates and breaks.... so you'll have to do this at some point anyway... better do it right up front.

Then you know you have a drivetrain that will give you 100K of reliable service.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:29 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Mileage is no help either... a ham-fisted driver can destroy a gearbox, and trash a clutch in 50K miles.
Less,...I've had such people utterly destroy a transmission in under 25K by such abuse.

A skillful driver can get 100k out of a clutch, and the tranny will outlast the car...
Easily. I typically get 150-160K from a clutch and well over that for a transmission and I drive cars like they were meant to be. Many of my clients do the very same things, too.

IMHO, buying the car at some discount and putting that money into a new clutch, rebuilt box, and all the other odds and ends such as drive-shafts, etc, etc is not a bad deal.
Totally agree with that. Properly done, these cars are pretty bulletproof and capable of 300K miles with good maintenance.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Things are pretty close to the same; 915 stuff isn't cheap any longer so the net costs are almost equal.

Quick Reply: G50 with bad 3-4 shift?