Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Torsion bar adjusting lever position

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Ryan O'Connor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion bar adjusting lever position

I am in the process of replacing the front torsion bars on my 83. From my reading, I understand that the adjusting lever should be installed so that top of the lever where the adjustment screw comes out should be as close to the top of the cross member as possible. This means the screw will be threaded in the least amount possible. Then to lower the car the screw is turned counter clockwise. But if the screw is only threaded in a little bit there won't be any room to unscrew it.

So does that mean that when I put the car back on the ground, it will be sitting high and need to be lowered? That would make sense because there would be plenty of room to turn the adjusting screw clockwise.

I just want to be sure I have it right before I take it off the jack stands.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:45 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

yes, and if you need more adjustment Higher or Lower... just re-index the torsion bar till you get the ride height you want. The adjustment screw is more for fine tuning and should be somewhat in the middle as the final result.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

okay i think i may be confused

you say that to lower the car you need to turn counter clockwise.. then later you say to lower the car there is plenty of room to turn the adjustment screw clockwise ....
Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Ryan O'Connor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry. With the lever all the way at the top, the adjustment screw cannot be turned counter clockwise because there are no threads left. What I was looking for was if the car will be sitting high, requiring the screw to be turned clockwise, which can be done because there are plenty of threads. If the car were sitting low the screw could not be turned to bring it up. But reindexing makes sense now.

Quick Reply: Torsion bar adjusting lever position