Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Installing targa rear window.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:08 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installing targa rear window.

Does anybody know if you absolutely have to take off top hoop cover to install rear window on a targa? I really don't want to mess with that and the front bar seal that have never been peeled away. It is a 964. Posted on the 964 forum, but they didn't make many 964 targas so the advice would be lacking. I am about to attempt this while I can with my friends help. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I get the hoop cover must come off, but how the f&ck does the front rubber seal come off? Driving me crazy and don't want to wreck that expensive seal. It is the one with the holes to attach the top to. At front of targa bar.
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:34 PM
tpd83911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You may be done already but I can give 83 sc targa experience with this. After repaint and interior the replacement of original rear window with new seals was next. The glass "guy" in Charlotte that was recommended by two excellent body shops would not touch it. He was very informative as part of discussion but he said that the amount of time and pain-in-the-*** factor did not make sense for him - basic opportunity cost. I made calls and found one of the chain glass companies that had two guys that had done it and quoted a flat rate. The flat rate was good as this took about 6-7 hours across two days for two guys. I recall that it was necessary to loosen the entire targa roll bar and rock it forward to get the window to seat and seal. This is bolted down through the rear wheel wells. It was also necessary for me to replace the wrap around metal pieces along bottom edge as these had been slightly bent at time of removal. Having watched and helped with this I would do it myself with a bit of help to handle the window and get the roll bar back in place at the same time - took 3 of us.

I have replaced the rear seal independently of the above process. It requires removing interior trim pieces and separating the glue that holds the seal in place. It is more tedious/time consuming than difficult as I recall. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Installing targa rear window.