Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa Top Seals

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Targa Top Seals

I'm looking for some info on the side seals on my Targa Top ( 1984). I was able to procure a very decent targa top frame with all seals, and mechanism in great working order, for pretty short money. My plan is to take time to cover this myself to use as a back up top so I can keep my original top ( soon to be professionally covered) unfolded at all times. The awesome weather in Maine left me with time to do some indoor chores today and I stripped the top of remaining bits of vinyl and completely cleaned the frame and panels. I don't have access to my Carrera to compare seal configuration, but it appears that the front left corner is missing a piece of the seal, quite possibly integral to the left side seal. On the other side, there is a piece of seal oddly shaped to seal the right front corner of the top. That piece is missing on the left. Is this supposed to be part of the side seal? The right side piece is not connected to the side seal, but may have been at one point. Before I run off researching prices of side seals , just wanted to get some direction from the Targa crowd. I really appreciate your help .
Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 AM
racngrn
Racer

Research is showing that my side seals on the spare top are in disrepair and that the pieces that attach to the straight piece ( with four screw holes) are broken off. I will need to get new side seals for both sides. Does anyone have good used ones that would be considered for sale? Hate to spend +/- $300 for brand new ones on a back up top. Many thanks, Steve
Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

i bought some uro ones that were cheaper but they were absolute garbage and came all unglued when i put them in . Watch out for people trying to sell you these.

I am not sure EXACTLY what you are talking about without pics and arrows. but I am talking about the rubber pices about 2 inches wide that run along either side of the roof that you adjust to meet the top of the window.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guy:
http://www.carsincnj.com/
The knock offs are useless.
-C
Old 01-02-2014, 01:38 PM
racngrn
Racer

Those are the ones. I am actually going to have Dan re-do my original top. May be a good place to get the seals if I can't locate a decent used set. Thanks, Steve
Old 01-02-2014, 02:37 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had Targas since 1985. As the saying goes, there are two types of Targas.... those that leak and those that are going to leak.

These seals are extremely fiddly, and if not in perfectly condition, and correctly installed, will leak... but, given the alternative... e.g. ruined upholstery and/or dash cover, this is not a place to cut corners... swallow hard, and spend the money.

A proper re-do of a top can get uncomfortably close to $1K. This is one of the reasons that Targas often sell at or below coupe prices... its just part of the deal.

Also, once the new seals are on, check the alignment of the side windows... these may need to be adjusted to fit the new seals.... this is something you can do yourself by taking off the door panels.... it's not hard, just a time consuming huge PIA, but if the windows do not seat properly, you'll still have leaks.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 PM
racngrn
Racer

Thanks. I'm fortunate in that I don't ever ( plan to ) drive the car in the rain. Just not something I like to do. I also have a great weather proof cover that goes over the top, windshield and side/back windows to through over the car should I be parked somehere and mother nature surprises me. Its intended for use when the targa top is off and the car is parked in the elements ( sun or rain). I did not anticipate that the side seals required adjustment or , worse yet, the windows. I'll look into that before getting the original top recovered so I can get the same great fit I have today. Thanks

Last edited by racngrn; 01-02-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by racngrn
Thanks. I'm fortunate in that I don't ever ( plan to ) drive the car in the rain. Just not something I like to do. I also have a great weather proof cover that goes over the top, windshield and side/back windows to through over the car should I be parked somehere and mother nature surprises me. Its intended for use when the targa top is off and the car is parked in the elements ( sun or rain). I did not anticipate that the side seals required adjustment or , worse yet, the windows. I'll look into that before getting the original top recovered so I can get the same great fit I have today. Thanks
Have fun in your world....
Old 01-12-2014, 07:22 AM
powertrader
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

curious, where did you get the cover, as I am sending my off to Dan for a restoration and want to protect it after its like new again.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:19 PM
racngrn
Racer

I bought it through Covercraft. If you go to their website and do some digging, you'll see a cover that is used for convertibles when the roof is down. It is this cover that is made for the Targas. If you go into the ordering process, you'll see the option come up for our cars. Its white with a canvas-like backing. Fairly light weight and has velcro straps that hold it in place all around the car. Cost was about $100. Nice product and fits well. Let me know if you have trouble finding it. Steve

Quick Reply: Targa Top Seals