Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can this be fixed? Odometer repair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 PM
kkothand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can this be fixed? Odometer repair.

Hi everyone.
I am in the process of replacing the plastic gear (20X30 teeth) which became jello due to age etc.(as is well known in older 911's; speedo works mileage doesn't turn over). Mine is a 1982 911SC bought last month (I knew when I bought it and planned on doing this repair). I need some advise from the more knowledgeable and experienced gang here. You see, when I opened it up and after I managed to remove the tumbler unit found a single white piece of plastic (shown in pic-1) fall on the table. I managed to find where it broke off as shown in pic-2. I just gently located it adjacent to where it would have been (pic 2) to take picture. Does this mean I am screwed and cannot put my unit back together without this plastic piece in the right position? Can I glue this back, and is it even possible? I feel like all my work now may be for naught if I cannot put back the speedometer together because of this broken piece. Any and all help is much appreciated.
KK

Odom-1.jpg
Odom-2.jpg
Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your pic links no worky but herehttp://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ter_Repair.htm is a link to a book I use for 911 repair. The link is for the odometer repair. Hope it helps. GL
Old 12-22-2013, 10:48 AM
kkothand
Intermediate

Charles, thanks. It appears it is not easy to post pics in this forum based on my search. I am almost there in putting the new gear and be done with; but want to make sure this broken piece will not affect function, (to me it doesn't seem to) but wanted to confirm so I don't have to pull my speedo again from the car after everything is said and done. Unfortunately I am having trouble showing the pics.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:05 AM
kkothand
Intermediate

Default Another attempt to post pics.

My previous post boils down to, does this small piece that came off will screw up the function of the speedo, even though I don't see how? I played with the reset button to see if this has any impact when I took the picture, but didn't see any.

Thanks in advance..and I hope the pictures show up this time.
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2013, 12:43 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't remember that piece but it has been a long time since I have seen the inside of an 911OD. That looks to be a upper(trip) tumbler clip/retainer. I have had good results using a micro torch to re-weld plastic together but with a part that small you will need rock solid hands, as well as a few sacrificial shavings from a non-critical area of the OD that has the same plastic. Epoxies might work but you will need to test the effectiveness of the bond. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. GL.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 PM
kkothand
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CW-VIESOCK
Don't remember that piece but it has been a long time since I have seen the inside of an 911OD. That looks to be a upper(trip) tumbler clip/retainer. I have had good results using a micro torch to re-weld plastic together but with a part that small you will need rock solid hands, as well as a few sacrificial shavings from a non-critical area of the OD that has the same plastic. Epoxies might work but you will need to test the effectiveness of the bond. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. GL.
It appears to have no functional impact. It simply rests on the small shaft which moves up when reset button is operated, with the plastic piece not doing anything. I talked to North Holly wood speedometer and Odometr Gears (from whom I purchased the replacement gear) and they seem to think that operationally if everything works it should be fine. I tested the tumbler operations and reset button several times everything seems to work. I will have to make a decision and move ahead and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Can this be fixed? Odometer repair.