1978 911 SC advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:00 PM
bugstrider
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 911 SC advice

Hello,

My wife and I were recently approached by a good friend who is aware of our fondness for 912's. He has found himself in a position where he needs to sell off his 1978 911SC. He has offered the car to us for a very tempting price. However, I will be the first to admit I know nothing about the 78 911SC platform.

This is what I have on the car:

1978 911SC Targa platform, body and interior are in great condition for a 34 year old car. Engine has an original 254,000 miles. Over-pressure valves in the Air-Boxes but don't know about the head-bolts or tensioner type that are two other hot points. The current owner said it squeaked by smog last go around and it does leak some oil as I assume most do. When looking at the car I am interested in some pointers to look for or other potential pitfalls with this car. Our friend is the third owner and the original owner put Carrera badges and a tail on it. Other than that, it is all original.

As I mentioned, the good price is the main driving force in the interest since I had never thought I could ever consider owning a 911.

Any thought would be appreciated,

Trevor
Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three letters

PPI

Personally, I would not buy a car from a 'good' friend.....but that's just me.

I'm sure others have plenty of input for your potential purchase.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree on not buying (or selling either) a car from/to a good friend. A good way to ruin a friendship. Personally I don't like selling cars in the same geographical area I live in. Regardless of the condition of the car you never know what's going to happen and they purchaser may expect you to "pull warranty" on it. Then there's the prospect of watching a really nice car go downhill or conversely watching the new owner do stuff with it you never did! I like them to go out of the area and out of mind.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess I'm lucky, some of my best transactions have been amongst close friends. Never hurt any friendship, just the opposite. (Knock on wood)

Regarding the sc, they are not that complicated. Get a through ppi and know what you are getting into. Pay accordingly. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

I own a 78sc Targa and it is a wonderfull car. Easy to maintain, and tonnes of fun .. Definitely get the PPI and these are the things yo would like to know ...

1. Condition of head Studs.
2. Condition of head Studs
3. Condition of Head Studs.

Other than that everything else is fixable at reasonable cost if you are a DIY guy. The 1st and 2nd gear Synchros can be problematic but even that is not the end of the world on a 915 once you learn how to treat it. .

Also you have to consider do you just want a fun driver or something more. If its just a fun driver at a reasonable cost and the engine checks out , go for it .

If you can get your hands ona 101 projects Book and a Bentley you are in for years of enjoyment.

Also you should get Petes Book the used 911 story. Will give you tonnes of things to look out for and will allow you to have an intelligent conversation with your PPI mechanic.

Quick Reply: 1978 911 SC advice