Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Ines and Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Ines and Cooler

My SC sat for about 10 - 12 years before I acquired it as a "barnfind" (so to speak) I'm having to do a lot of work on it to get it back road-worthy and currently have the engine out (head studs). Here's the question: (Pardon me if this seems like a dumb one, but I've not seen it addressed anywhere.)

Should anything special be done regarding cleaning (blowing out, whatever) the oil lines and cooler before reinstalling and firing up the engine. I should note here that the oil I drained from the engine and the inside the engine itself were clean as can be; no engine failure debris or anything. Should I just leave the cooler and lines as they are, install the engine and run it?

Along the same line, what precautions should be used if the front to rear cooler lines and cooler are empty? Any way to pre-fill them?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd go with what you have, fresh oil etc., and run the car for a few hundred miles and change it out.
You'll have enough oil in the sump/tank even if the lines and cooler were bone dry which I doubt.
If you really wanted to check it out you could pull the trombone (guessing that's what you have-front cooler) and check the oil.
The cooler/lines aren't open until the thermostat opens at 190-195 and then you can check your level (engine running fully warm level ground yada yada and right at 1/2 the dipstick).
Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

If you feel confident that head studs were the only problem then dont flush or change anything. Thinking like that means you shouldn't even put new fuel in it. Fuel wasn't the problem...right?

But...since it was a "barn find" and you don't know it's history why would you leave it to chance.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I don't know what the issues were, if any, that caused the car to be parked. The inside of the engine is fine (except for the studs - two, #3 rear, top and bottom) and the oil I drained was clean and appeared to have been freshly changed.

Fuel was an issue but only because it was parked with about 3/4+ tank and it sat for so long. Toasted the tank and lines.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

If the old oil looked good and the engine was 'clean' no problem that I could see.
When 'we' change our oil most of the oil in the lines/front radiator or trombone stay in place.
There is enough new oil to dilute the remains.

Quick Reply: Oil Ines and Cooler