Audio recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio recommendations...

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace/upgrade my audio system. I know... 'gasp'... why would I possibly want to upgrade the audio system in an air cooled 911!? Call me crazy but I really do enjoy music and want a great sounding system in my 911.

Anyway, I'm going through crutchfield and realize I have a ton of options for iPod/iPhone/Bluetooth compatible functionality. So now I'm reaching out to you guys for recommendations.

What say you Rennlisters?

--JC
Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No amps in the trunk please. I do know that there are crossover units that fit nicely in the door pockets, but please no amps in the trunk.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I replaced my speakers/deck with alpine units... they're great speakers but 5 1/2 in the front have practically no bass... and forget about the rear parcel shelf (3x5? I forget) for low frequency sound. Other than the lack of low-range I love them. They maintain a classic look for the car too... so much out there has flashy colours and designs. I like simple.
Attached Images   
Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It really depends how much you want to spend and what you want out of the system (bluetooth, ipod, nav, sat. radio, dvd, etc). If it were me, for speakers I'd use HLCD under the dash, 6-1/2 mids, a sub (or two), either a 2 amp setup or a 6 ch. amp w/sub capabilities, and a good source unit (old school Alpine, Nakamichi, Denon, McIntosh).
Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me I's want a completely stealth look. And I wouldn't really even bother with a separate amp. Is first buy the most efficient set of components to fit in the door. That way they'll be able to maximize the amount of power I give them from the head unit. Next I'd find the head unit with the best built in amp.

Reason being is that with a sports car, you are gonna get all kinds of secondary noise... tire, engine, etc. so it's really not worthwhile to throw a huge amount of cash into the system, because the platform for it is not ideal and the improvement with the method I described would be huge anyway :-)
Old 11-14-2013, 08:31 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I based my speaker buying decision on the look of the grill... its hard to find nice plain grill nowadays. As for the sound, I didnt really care how it sounded. Not worth it in an aircooled car
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

Not to dis anybodys skill set here but really i dont think you are going to get a good answer . I think what you need to do is come here to find out technically waht will fit in our cars for speakers etc, then go to an audiophile site or even a Honda crowd site . Thos guys just have some amazing sound sytstems in their cars as they are into that stuff, i think most of us might like good sound , but went someplace eho knows that stuff to get advice..

on A related note I just bought some "adapters from a guy making them on pelican .. our door screw spacing for speakers is really odd, so he made some nice adapters so you can put standard speakers in . I havent picked tem up but i know i had to botch something up when i put my Blaupunky overdrives in my door.

I am going to take it all apart and clean it up.

Quick Reply: Audio recommendations...