Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anybody have any problems with a rebuilt fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anybody have any problems with a rebuilt fuel pump?

I still have the original fuel pump in my car. (At least it looks like it is (Silver Color and dirty) I wanted to buy a replacement pump to carry with me, just in case. Or I might just replace it preventatively. The price difference between a new and rebuilt from Vertex is $99 vs. $209. Should I be concerned about buying a rebuilt one? I figure that I could buy a second as a spare and still save ten bucks.

Any thoughts?

Noel
Old 07-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Ruben911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noel, I am currently running on a rebuilt fuel pump from Vertex. I have had it for about 4 months. This is my third pump in four years. Six months after I brought the car my fuel pump failed. I replaced it with a re-built unit from Vertex. One year later it failed so I decided to buy a new one from Vertex. After about 14 months, the new one also failed. I was told by Vertex that the reason was that the inside of the fuel tank was corroded, so I brought another rebuilt pump and decided to repair my tank. Two weeks ago I removed the tank, cleaned it and sealed it. As the guy from Vertex told me, it was significantly corroded and a lot of rust came out. Also, recent testing of my fuel injection pressures revealed that the previous owner had set the fuel system pressure at 93 psi (for improved performance), which is significantly higher than the 65-75 psi spec (this was causing the pump to overwork). Now that I have corrected the system pressure (currently set at 70 psi) and repaired the tank I'm hoping that my current rebuilt pump will last a long time. Hope this helps some.

Ruben
1976 911s
Old 07-17-2003, 03:25 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the post Ruben. I may give it a try.

Noel

Quick Reply: Anybody have any problems with a rebuilt fuel pump?